How cold is TOO cold for a chicken?

Pics
I'm in upstate - Ithaca, it's been mild so far, but Saturday overnight is going to be -5.... I do have a heat lamp, but I worry about heating the coop. It's nice, solid construction with small vents. I am torn about turning on the heat lamp. It's securely fastened, but after all the horror stories I've heard about fires, I worry.

I'm in upstate - Ithaca, it's been mild so far, but Saturday overnight is going to be -5.... I do have a heat lamp, but I worry about heating the coop. It's nice, solid construction with small vents. I am torn about turning on the heat lamp. It's securely fastened, but after all the horror stories I've heard about fires, I worry.
They're better off without it. They are acclimated to the cold. You go out there when it's super cold, stick your hand up next to their skin under all those feathers, and you'll find that they're quite warm.

you don't need the lamp! We've been down to -20'F (real temp not wind chill) and no problem! Not even frost bite.
Here, too. As long as they're in a dry, well ventilated coop, and not having a draft on them (and by "draft", I mean any wind strong enough to ruffle feathers), they should be just fine.

Thanks so much. These 2 little ones won't even roost I have tried, and they end up in the nesting box at night. I will just add more bedding in there for them. They are a mix of Cochin and Orpington. They do have a roost in there and their coop is next to the main coop so they see the big chickens roost but for whatever reason they will not stay on there yet.

Both those breeds are cold hardy. They could happily live in Alaska without added heat, I'm sure! I'd be more worried about how they'll handle summers down where you are. As for roosting, they will when they're ready. I've had some start roosting at 4 weeks, others not until about 12.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reassurance - This is my first winter with the chicks. I have 6 RSLs that almost about a year old and 2 mixes (Sumatra, and another pheasant markings) that are somewhere around 5 months old & 1 silkie rooster from that group. I've learned a TON on this site. Lately I've been reading up on my rooster facts. He wasn't exactly planned - not to get too far off track. He tends to roost in the run, and not in the coop with the girls. I have been scooting him in the coop and closing the little door, to encourage him to with the hens. I don't know if he'd go in in the more severe temperature drops, but it's a lot safer when I can close things up overnight. We live in a predator paradise, and all it would take is a little persistence for a hungry fox to get into the run. I have a heavy plastic sheet wrapped around the run to keep snow and freezing wind out - but I just think its better for him to roost with the ladies. The bigger girls are fairly tolerant of the littler birds, but even after almost 3 months, they are still not one big family. The little ones are still so flighty. They are really sensitive to any interaction with the older hens. They run around and act like they're going to get eaten. They're really overly dramatic. The only time they're confined is overnight, then they are either roaming the yard, or confined to a really nice sized run. Ok - off track, again! I just don't have a lot of people who want to talk about my chickens as much as I do...
yippiechickie.gif

If you have silkies that are young,and they havent had time to acclimate to the change in weather then you may need extra straw or warmth for that one. Join us on facebook group Pet Chickens. We love to talk chicken and show off our little ones. Its a great group

It is really cold out and will get colder, but have you ever have a lap chicken? Mine will fall asleep on my lap and her underside feels like a heating pad. I can feel the burning heat through my pants like a ball of fire, and that was last night. While I was working on the computer, she dozed off on my lap almost rolled off to the floor. Once back in the coop, she and the others puffed up their feathers, sat on their feet and went back to sleep. So as long as the coop is well ventilated without wind blowing on their feathers, the chickens should be fine keeping themselves warm.

If you have silkies that are young,and they havent had time to acclimate to the change in weather then you may need extra straw or warmth for that one. Join us on facebook group Pet Chickens. We love to talk chicken and show off our little ones. Its a great group

Thanks! My only silkie is a cockerel, hatched in early fall - so he has no real idea that there are greener pastures and longer days around the corner :) He was first out of the run this morning. I'm afraid of frostbite, but I've done all the things suggested & am looking at water warmers today. I work pretty long hours and I want them to have water when it's 1degree out :p

Thanks! My only silkie is a cockerel, hatched in early fall - so he has no real idea that there are greener pastures and longer days around the corner :) He was first out of the run this morning. I'm afraid of frostbite, but I've done all the things suggested & am looking at water warmers today. I work pretty long hours and I want them to have water when it's 1degree out :p

I had a silkie once. If ever there was a "winter chicken", it was her! She was the only one who cared to venture into the snow and the only one smart enough to know that green stuff hid underneath it ;) Unfortunately, she was lost to a predator (who broke into the coop and killed a bunch of others as well) but now that I have an LGD I may get some more of them this year. As for water, don't stress too much - if there's fresh snow on the ground, they'll eat that between waterings, or even just for fun after being given a fresh bucket ;) I have really nice well water here but even my dog prefers to gobble up snow rather than drink from a fresh bowl, go figure!

Back
Top Bottom