How cold is too cold for chickens?

Hammer it is! Maybe she won't molt. That's definitely a concern though. Why is it the favorite one always causes the most trouble? My daughter's favorite is currently in the "sick bay"..... again. I've decided that this one is bottom of the pecking order and nutrition has become an issue. So we fatten her up and hopefully get her right before the temps drop too much and she becomes a house chicken 😳
Seriously, it's always the favorites! Last year we lost my 5-year-old son's favorite right after Christmas (heart failure). Fingers crossed your daughter's favorite can rejoin her friends soon!

Seriously, it's always the favorites! Last year we lost my 5-year-old son's favorite right after Christmas (heart failure). Fingers crossed your daughter's favorite can rejoin her friends soon!
That's terrible 😔. And always so hard to explain to the little ones. Thanks though. I got her through something similar a couple of months ago. So I do it again and really will have to pay close attention to her diet moving forward. My son's favorite was what turned out to be our rooster.....and then the rooster decided he no longer wished to tolerate the hugging and being held. Lol my son found a new favorite very quickly. Lol 😆

Where, in general, are you?
I'm in north-eastern Europe.

I put some wood shavings, a bit of straw and the last of my fallen leaves in there. That's all I could do today. Do you think it's alright? My chickens definitely love it. I could go get some moss and put that in the run as well. Would moss be safe for chickens?

Attachments

• 20221118_133829.jpg
    20221118_133829.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 7
  • 20221118_132553.jpg
    20221118_132553.jpg
    678.5 KB · Views: 8
Your description and list of what to use as ground cover is excellent. I understand the challenges around maintaining good coverage for our chickens’ run and don’t know how we would have known what to do without BYC people! Perhaps if no clippings, dry leaves, etc. are accessible on your own property call the local feed & seed stores and inquire about what they have for sale. There also may be neighboring farms that could help. When we mow our pastures in the fall in particular the clippings are a mix of already-drying grasses, especially now in N. C. when we stagger where to cut, once the high season for pollinators’ has gradually passed. It’s kept in the little 3-sided barn once used when we had a few horses. The fall leaves have already been used. Has anyone tried out the large bags of chopped straw, ( don’t use uncut straw), grasses & PDZ? It’s being used along with in the chix house & guessing could be spread around in the run. Thanks for your help!

I agree it’s more drafts/wind that’s an issue and they’re far more tolerant than we think. Also make sure they’re roosting bars aren’t too thin so when they’re sleeping at night they can cover their feet🙂
I used 2 of the wooden poles they use for humans closets! I think they are 2 inches wide. They are 4ft long and work great!
Usually, frostbite occurs when wet feet don't dry. Walking in the snow won't cause frostbite since the snow gets flung off as they walk about. Frostbite can occur if the chickens get wet feet before they roost and they haven't dried. Then that moisture can cause the tissue to freeze.

A big factor is wind. Wind chill lowers the air temperature. A draft in the run or coop hitting wet wattles or feet will cause the temperature to be below freezing and the tissue then freezes.

When there is improper air flow in a coop at night, the danger comes from the chickens' breath. As they exhale, moisture comes out with the air and can then settle on the combs and freeze. Unless air flow carries this moisture laden air up and away from the chickens, frostbite can occur.

There is really no such thing as an ideal winter waterer. If water spills or drips onto feet or wattles drag in the water, then frostbite can occur. As long as the chickens can stay dry, they will be fine.
I used wooden poles for human closets and they are perfect for my girls.

Attachments

• 20220416_192712.jpg
    20220416_192712.jpg
    494.3 KB · Views: 3
Chickens never die from the cold....they get stressed and whatever disease they already had will show symptoms due to the stress and sometime that will kill them. Only way a chicken would die from the cold is if it was soaking wet and died of hyperthermia

I've heard chickens will be fine walking aoutside in -20°C weather, but what about at night? I only have a small wooden coop made out of pallets and one layer of styrofoam along the walls. The breeds I have are silkies, bantam brahmas and bantam cochins. Overall pretty small and compact breeds, so as long as the coop is well ventilated I shouldn't have to worry about frostbite.
What are the temperatures that are too cold for chickens? I really don't want to wake up one morning and see that my beloved pets have died from the cold. What's like the limit that u keep them outside for? Because last year in early spring I took my chickens in the garage at night. This will be my first winter though.
You need to get your coop and run flooring covered in straw and or pine shavings or both and it should be thick like 6 in deep all over. As for watering the best for not getting waddles wet is the buckets with nipples you may have to teach them to use it but they learn quickly

Never use straw in a coop...that holds moisture in and gets moldy and gets heavy when trying to clean it out....id use pine shavings

Back
Top Bottom