How cold is too cold?

Pics
Higher protein feed if they aren't laying (as a snack if they are) don't give a low protein scratch (check the protein levels for ANIMAL feed online. Be careful because most info is for human food, and the grains are not the same). If you have it, baby chick foods make awesome pudding (be careful of freezing)

Humidity is painful, and places to curl up in straw or hay are lovely. If someone decides to molt and the weather turns on her, take her aside to feed her a little snack like her own bowl of chick feed and make sure she has a very deep bedding for her.

If they don't want to go outside they need food access inside, if you can keep the water bowl away from any opportunity to spill it makes life easier. I keep the duck's water bowl inside an old soup pot so when they spill (constantly) it goes into the pot and not on the floor.

Keep bedding dry as much as possible. If you don't have amazing ventilation you should stay away from deep bedding options because of the ammonia released in their poo, possible parasites transfers, and the humidity it traps.

It is a balance between insulation to keep wind out so they maintain their body heat (and any supplemental heat you offer) and reducing humidity.
Amy good brands you recommend for higher protein. I am feeding them right now the nature wise brand of feed is that ok or should I change

I would say put hay or straw in, but you cant have a heat lamp then. And otherwise as long as they have food or water they are fine its negative 1F here and mine are fine.
I have hay where they roost underneath but the heat lamp is above the egg boxes and it is far away like on the other side of the coop there roost area and the egg boxes are on each side

I have hay where they roost underneath but the heat lamp is above the egg boxes and it is far away like on the other side of the coop there roost area and the egg boxes are on each side
Ok, i dont trust heat lamps, because of fire hazards and our coop also shouldnt need one.

With the bomb cyclone coming in tomorrow, our local weather service is predicting wind chills of -20 to -30 below zero F. We live in the Deep South. My chickens are not acclimated to such temperatures. Of course they have shelters and wind blocks but I guarantee they are too dumb to simply stay inside their coop. I am concerned about them getting frostbite. Especially those with larger combs.

With the bomb cyclone coming in tomorrow, our local weather service is predicting wind chills of -20 to -30 below zero F. We live in the Deep South. My chickens are not acclimated to such temperatures. Of course they have shelters and wind blocks but I guarantee they are too dumb to simply stay inside their coop. I am concerned about them getting frostbite. Especially those with larger combs.
We live in southern Wisconsin and are suppose to get hit with thr bomb cyclone. My chickens will stay in the coop till it warms up then go outside, just lock them in the coop with food and water. Im getting pictures tomorrow mine might already have frostbite.😞 at least my 3 favorite ones that have large combs.

I don’t believe chickens should have to ((((tolerate)))) the cold. I believe we as their family and care takers should make them comfortable as possible. I put a ceramic heat bulb in their coop (I’m decided to order a heat panel now) anyway my chickens and roosters are never stressed and yes they all cuddle up around it (that should tell you something) no shivering no one getting left out and freezing because of pecking order all are happy and healthy ❤️ No one here has to tolerate the cold and you don’t have to worry about them knowing they are being kept comfortable and warm.

I don’t believe chickens should have to ((((tolerate)))) the cold. I believe we as their family and care takers should make them comfortable as possible. I put a ceramic heat bulb in their coop (I’m decided to order a heat panel now) anyway my chickens and roosters are never stressed and yes they all cuddle up around it (that should tell you something) no shivering no one getting left out and freezing because of pecking order all are happy and healthy ❤️ No one here has to tolerate the cold and you don’t have to worry about them knowing they are being kept comfortable and warm.
Those wouldnt do anything for my chickens except make them to hot. My chickens tolerate the cold and do not mind it. Like said earlier in the thread chickens use to live outside for years in below 19 degrees F conditions. They do a moult so they are ready for winter, as long as there moult is done they are ready. Although its suppose to be - 20 degrees F here so i have straw and i will be adding in a plate heater. Also our coop is positioned between our house and garage with the wind not hitting it. Just my preference not to add heat unless its under -10. I just lock them in the coop with water and food, then go out 3 or 4 times to give them more water.

We live in southern Wisconsin and are suppose to get hit with thr bomb cyclone. My chickens will stay in the coop till it warms up then go outside, just lock them in the coop with food and water. Im getting pictures tomorrow mine might already have frostbite.😞 at least my 3 favorite ones that have large combs.
My coop is fine for laying and roosting at night but it's far too small to keep my chickens locked inside it for 3 or 4 days until temps return to normal. I'm just going to need to keep a close eye on them and be on the lookout for trouble. I'm just worried that I will catch it too late. I have close to 60 chickens but they have access to 2 coops (8x12), my goat house, as well as several run-ins that block wind & rain/snow. Hopefully they will hunker down in a protected area... 🤞

Back
Top Bottom