how common is bacillary white diarrhea? and should I be concerned?

KristenRae

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 7, 2011
NE Wisconsin
I got four chicks, one which died last week after obvious stunted growth and lethargy. My remaining chicks are 2 1/2 weeks old, one of which shows obvious stunted growth and lethargy. Droppings appear to be normal, but do include some chalky white substance. Appetite is fine. Should I be concerned about Salmonella Pollorum? I got my birds from a small farmer when they were a few days old, environment appeared clean and dry and birds all appeared healthy until a few days later. Is there a site with photos of what chicks with this illness would look like, poo would look like? Thanks!

So sorry to hear about your chicks! I am actually going through the woes of pullorum right now. After talking to the extension office in our area and speaking with several educators in Animal Medicine at OSU here in Ohio, the out look is not good. I was told to completely de-populate our flock, in the end we will have lost 101 chickens, 8 turkeys, and 2 ducks... they were our pets more than anything. My advice, try finding a vet that is able to lab testing and be tell you exaclty what is going on. I have also found a great website http://animal-health.library4farmin...SITES-AFFECTING-poultry/Pullorum-Disease.html It is very informative! Good luck, I really hope it turns out to be something minor!

I am so sorry! That must be awful! This is my first time raising chickens, so i don't really know much about what is considered "normal", and what may be cause for concern. What kind of behavior and symptoms did you see in newly hatched chicks? What kind of mortality rate? The link was helpful, but I am debating whether or not to seek veterinary advice at this point, as the chick is acting somewhat normal now... just appears to be about a week or more behind in growth! But from what I read, that could be a sign that it just fought off the infection. What about morbidity? There is one chick (out of the four) that has been housed along with the other three and is completely normal in growth, behavior... I'd think if it was Pullorum, chicks not infected through the egg would very quickly become infected if a hatchmate was. Just curious as to what your experience was, as it doesn't appear to be very common. Thanks:)

My chickens range from 10 weeks to 1 year. The vet was slightly confused by the older chickens contracting it but because we found a wild bird in the yard with the same symptoms he said could be the reason for them becoming infected at such an age. Symptom wise it first starts off as white diarrhea with no solid material in it, then comes "muddy butt" (poo stuck to the vent feathers), once that sets in they begin ruffling their feathers and pulling their heads close to their body (with it being 85 degrees I doubt it is because they are chilled), from their the wings and head start to droop, and within hours they are dead. If your chicks do have pullorum, I was told, that if they have been exposed but show no symptoms they can be carrier birds meaning if you add to your flock in years to come it will be spread. In addition if you hatch your eggs it will be spread to those chicks. Another thing to consider is trying to treat the with a broad spectrum antibiotic since the symptoms are just starting.

I really wish you the best of luck! Things to check is their food and water, possibly moldy food. What types of outside things are they exposed to? Have you been or do you have friends that own chickens? One of the biggest factors in spreading disease is tracking it with shoes, clothing, or handling. Does it seem to be more of a digestive thing rather than a respirtatory thing? If it has anything to do with breathing I would suggest checking into Fowl Cholera. The symptoms are slightly different but still something to check into. There was one other option that I was looking into if I come across it again I will post it for you.

We started off with chickens about 3 1/2 years ago, so I am no expert. I just hate to think when I wake up tomorrow all my "babies" will be gone.

Wanted to add an update: I didn't lose anymore chicks, and the lethargic sickly one responded well to adding Poly-vi-sol to his water and is currently doing well! Glad it didn't turn out to be an illness. Proves I have a lot to learn yet about raising chickens!

Last edited:
I am so sorry to hear about your flock. So, how do you go on in the future chicken keeping after culling a whole flock? Do you tear down your pen and start somewhere else, Not allowed to get anymore chickens at all?

Back
Top Bottom