How common is this, and how upset should I be?

MiaPia

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 30, 2008
Nashville, TN
I am a first-time chick owner. I ordered 7 FEMALE chicks, and THREE have turned out to be roos.
sad.png

I paid extra of course, to be sure I had HENS. I live in the city so having roos is not really an option for me. I am really really livid that I have put time and effort into something I cannot keep. Seven chickens were the ideal number for our family, and now I am down by almost half.

Before I fire off my letter to the company, I just want to know if this is really common, to have this high ratio of roos/hens, when females were specifically ordered?

Oh - and anyone in the Nahsville area want a black Cochin Bantam roo or an EE Bantam?
smile.png

And any ideas where I can get a pullet or two in the area?

Last edited:
Sorry you ended up with 3 roos. That does seem high for sexed chicks. Which hatchery did you use?

I'm sure if you contact them you'll get a refund. I think most hatcheries only say sexing is 90% accurate. You could try Craigslist for rehoming your roos and even finding new pullets.

Sexing of baby chicks is very difficult, but the accuracy rate over large runs is fairly high i.e. greater than 90%. However, when working with such a small sample (n=7) you can have poor accuracy. I'd not be too upset, but if you are worried about getting you $3 back for the differenct between Pullets and Roos I'd call the hatchery.

This is another pitfall of buying such small quantities of birds.

Jim

Quote:
Most hatcheries will not Sex Bantams. Wonder why???

I ordered 25 REAL chickens Pullet pack, and got 26, only one turned out to be a roo, so I guess HE should be considered a packing peanut. Most will only refund the difference between Pullet price and Straight run price.
sad.png

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay :

Sexing of baby chicks is very difficult, but the accuracy rate over large runs is fairly high i.e. greater than 90%. However, when working with such a small sample (n=7) you can have poor accuracy. I'd not be too upset, but if you are worried about getting you $3 back for the differenct between Pullets and Roos I'd call the hatchery.

This is another pitfall of buying such small quantities of birds.

Jim

I am sure it's more the attachment, time, and feed used to get them this far that is more the issue not the few dollars paid to make sure it was hens. I understand, I can only have 1 roo and now I think I have 2. But I do understand that these are living animals and it can't be 100%. ANyways MiaPia good luck and maybe you can get them to replace them and hopefully you will have better luck next time.​

Quote:
I am sure it's more the attachment, time, and feed used to get them this far that is more the issue not the few dollars paid to make sure it was hens. I understand, I can only have 1 roo and now I think I have 2. But I do understand that these are living animals and it can't be 100%. ANyways MiaPia good luck and maybe you can get them to replace them and hopefully you will have better luck next time.

That is exactly it!
smile.png

I'm not upset about the extra money, I'm upset that my children have grown attached to these birds, we have raised them and socialized them for 2 months, and we can't keep them. I am going to try to keep one of the roos (he is a Buff Orp, a sweetheart, and quieter than the other 2 roos).

I know the place I purchased them (MPC) offers 90% accuracy (which in the case of 7 birds is actually less than one bird! LOL), so I just wanted to know if this was typical or not before I got too upset with the company!
smile.png

Last edited:
Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay :

However, when working with such a small sample (n=7) you can have poor accuracy.

LOL! I work in research, and this just made me giggle.

This is actually pretty common, from what I understand. If BYC guarantees their sexing, you could call them and find out whether you can get replacements.​

Back
Top Bottom