How create 55 Flowery Hen

Ale_16

Chirping
May 21, 2020
Hello everyone,
I own a rooster of 55 Flowery Hen and I would like to create a breeding group of this breed. Sadly from the eggs I bought I didn’t get any female. It’s has been hard for me to get the hatching eggs from this breed and it would be nearly impossible to obtain other eggs.
Is there a breed that I can use to cross with this rooster to recreate the breed? I have thought about the Ancona but I’m not sure it will work.

I'd cross him to light brown leghorns.
55s are the same pattern with barring and mottling added.
The offspring from the first cross will carry mottling but with only one copy it won't show. If you cross back to the rooster or cross the offspring the next generation will produce some with mottling.
Your first cross will produce barring on all offspring but the males will only have one copy of it. It'll take another generation to get males with double barring genes.

I'd cross him to light brown leghorns.
55s are the same pattern with barring and mottling added.
The offspring from the first cross will carry mottling but with only one copy it won't show. If you cross back to the rooster or cross the offspring the next generation will produce some with mottling.
Your first cross will produce barring on all offspring but the males will only have one copy of it. It'll take another generation to get males with double barring genes.
Thanks for your reply.
I forgot to mention that the rooster is a 55 silver flowery hen. Then I should use a silver leghorn to stay in silver and not mixing it with gold hens. I will post a picture of the hens because I don’t not what is the correct name of the color in English.
The process should be the same as you described before. Crossing the 55 Flowery Hen rooster with a couple of silver leghorn hens. Then crossing back the female offspring with the father and I should obtain “pure” 55 Flowery Hens chicks.

Attachments

• FF4A77B3-16D2-4D8D-8161-211C0CA47493.jpeg
    FF4A77B3-16D2-4D8D-8161-211C0CA47493.jpeg
    28.1 KB · Views: 10
Thanks for your reply.
I forgot to mention that the rooster is a 55 silver flowery hen. Then I should use a silver leghorn to stay in silver and not mixing it with gold hens. I will post a picture of the hens because I don’t not what is the correct name of the color in English.
The process should be the same as you described before. Crossing the 55 Flowery Hen rooster with a couple of silver leghorn hens. Then crossing back the female offspring with the father and I should obtain “pure” 55 Flowery Hens chicks.
55 flowery hens are auto-sexing breed. So if you breed your existing rooster to a leghorn hen then you might loose that trait for the breed.

I would not mix the breed if I had at least one hen to mate with the rooster. But since I don’t have any hen I would like to cross the rooster with another hen from another breed to have the possibility to obtain pure 55 Silver Flowery Hens. By doing this i should obtain offspring more viable, by being a hybrid.

Thanks for your reply.
Yes but not all.
Your first cross will produce chicks with one barring gene and one mottling gene. When you cross those pullets back to the rooster with the barring being sex linked those offspring will be set with the silver duckwing pattern and the correct amount of barring genes.
The mottling will be a different story. The rooster will have two copies so he'll pass one to all offspring. The pullets will only have one so half her offspring will get one and they'll be mottled and set. The other half will get the non mottled gene so they won't show mottling and won't be pure yet.
They'll be the same as the mothers so you can use them to try again or discard.

I would not mix the breed if I had at least one hen to mate with the rooster. But since I don’t have any hen I would like to cross the rooster with another hen from another breed to have the possibility to obtain pure 55 Silver Flowery Hens. By doing this i should obtain offspring more viable, by being a hybrid.
You're good to go. 55s are duckwing leghorns. Exact same birds besides the barring and mottling.
There is the silver and gold versions but that's the same for both. Work to what version you want. Besides that a duckwing leghorn will not bring in any unwanted genes that would need bred out or spoil your purity.
The only thing is they have non barred and non mottled genes. You'll just be replacing them. No big deal at all.
I've had these birds and have done these crosses.
A couple of my past gold 55s
20180706_180658-1_2.jpg

Thanks for your reply.
I forgot to mention that the rooster is a 55 silver flowery hen. Then I should use a silver leghorn to stay in silver and not mixing it with gold hens.

Using a Silver Flowery 55 Rooster on Light Brown Leghorns(that cary gold) is really not an issue because ALL of the F1 female progeny will be Silver based and look identical to Silver Leghorns and those are the ones you will be using to cross back. The Backcross from F1 to Flowery Hen will produce 50% 55 Flowery chicks and 50% will be Silver Crele, both are Autosexing

Last edited:
Using a Silver Flowery 55 Rooster on Light Brown Leghorns(that cary gold) is really not an issue because ALL of the F1 female progeny will be Silver based and look identical to Silver Leghorns and those are the ones you will be using to cross back. The Backcross from F1 to Flowery Hen will produce 50% 55 Flowery chicks and 50% will be Silver Crele, both are Autosexing
Thanks for the clarification, if I’m right then I could also use a crele leghorn hens, which is the same as the light brown with the addition of barring. Now I only have to found 2 hens.

Thanks for the clarification, if I’m right then I could also use a crele leghorn hens, which is the same as the light brown with the addition of barring. Now I only have to found 2 hens.
Crele hens will be next to impossible to find. Silver hens might not be easy, either. Light Brown Leghorns are fairly common and you could even probably find some that might improve your line in production or type qualities.

Back
Top Bottom