How did chickens come into your life?

Quote:
My friends think I'm insane. Especially when I go up to my hens and start talking to them, and then hug them. I'm in such a rural area and I still stick out like a sore thumb, which would explain why I hardly mention it in school. Sad when people just don't know where they live.
lol.png

I also live in a rural area, and many people have never even seen a chicken over here. Actually, they think they are dangerous unpredictable creatures. Not my chickens.

And most people are so surprised because of my personality, they would have never guessed that I loved chickens.

I never liked chickens growing up.
When I was about my daughters age(6) a small flock terrorized me one day. Then I went to an Aggie HS and the chickens there were kept in cages. It SMELLED in that barn and NO ONE wanted to be in that class.

Then I moved my horse to a new barn and one morning a hen was there. Next day a rooster was with the hen. Then the hen disappeared. The rooster was a riot. My dd named him Fred. When I had to move my horse abruptly I knew that the rooster was going to be alone and wouldnt survive. So we caught him and brought him home to live in our basement.
roll.png

Yeah. That wasnt fun.

I rehomed him, but missed having a chicken around. Luckily(?) the barn I moved my horse to has a chicken loving owner. She has a large free ranging flock of variuous breeds and colors. And I was done.
Just getting eggs from her flock wasnt enough. I wanted my own. I found Ideal. Then found BYC. Then ordered from Ideal.
Now I have a chicken obsessed daughter. A dh that rolls his eyes at me when he finds me on this board. And 5 pet chickens in the back yard that I will hide in my basement rather than rehome-If it ever comes to that.

I regularly have my BO Audrey in the house. She is a clown. All 5 are now friendly and each have their own personality. We are getting a Speckled Sussex pullet in a few weeks(?) and also two Self Blue DUccle's The D Uccles will be house pets. shhhhh dont tell the hubby. He thinks I am putting them out in the big coop with the rest of the girls. But I am hoping to maybe show the DUccle's. Well with luck my dd will want to. If not. I will.
wink.png

My start is a bit bizarre... I used to taxidermy chicks. I got my birds from breeder culls I would receive live. One day I received the smallest duckling and the smallest chick I have ever seen.... I went ahead and kept them and watched them grow. Ends up I got a silkie hen that was missing a toe and a east indie drake.

I have learned keeping chickens is not as easy as it looks. The drake is all I have left from my origanol "flock" 2 summers ago, but I have two hen silkies, and will be getting another rooster shortly... as well as many in the brooder.

Gotta Love Chickens!!

I just recently became a chicken owner, it's a long and funny story, but for starts someone dumped them off at a local park so I caught them and told my husband they followed me home! They're great chickens I can't believe how cruel people can be.

Chickens never came into my life; I came into theirs
tongue.png

I liked them from the start.
My mom has had chickens all her life, and she probably aways will, and I decided many years ago that I would too.

I know what you mean about having friends act like your crazy, I used to bring hatchery catalogues to school as reading material
roll.png

Everyone thought I was a litttle nutty.
I started to bug my best friend about chickens everyday and he always ignored me, then one day he went to someones house and they had orintal and rare breeds, (his family only had cornish x for meat before) and he got into chickens himself, and I fed the fire XD

Then I left the public school (I do it at home online) and had no one to gab about chickens to, so I found you guys!

Last edited by a moderator:
All my grandparents had chickens when I was little. I always wanted chickens but as a child my parents would never let me have any it was hard enough getting them to let me have cats and dogs..LOL

When my daughter was about 2 years old she became very interested in chickens...It was around easter and we bought her those botic roosters that sang the chicken hat song. She kept asking me for a rooster so I finally talked to a family member about getting her a pair about a week later I went and Picked up some.

They were my first Silkies 1 roo and 1 hen....Became my loves!! We now own 15..LOL

The easter bunny brought our first four chicks and two ducks. From there we just kept acquiring more.

Funny thing is my DH always wanted to be a farmer/rancher. I would laugh and tell him that I was a city girl. After we got our chickens, I have been doing everything in my power to speed up the process of selling our home and buying a farm. I guess DH had it right the whole time.

Quote:
It's the same with my family, and animals make me very happy. So they end up giving in everytime they find out about a new hen/roo.

or anything else that breathes, sleeps, poops, eats, and makes noise.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom