NinjaGamer2022

Songster
Apr 30, 2022
To make it clear, I will not be doing this anytime soon as I only this year got into poultry keeping and have yet to breed my own birds. But in the further future I am hoping to breed chickens and coturnix quail. But my problem is there are very few good breeders of coturnix quail online and I would like to add some fresh bloodlines to the US but am unsure how places like SouthWestGameBirds do it. Does anyone on here know anything about this? Thx,

If there is a Country in The World with the most diverse blood lines in poultry. It's the U.S.A.
I see. Do you know of any other good breeders of Coturnix Quail (a.k.a Japanese Quail) other then MyShireFarms and SouthWestGameBirds? Thank you for your time.

There is this thread with some usefull information in it.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/import-into-u-s.1177150/

There is also this. Notice that the countries with the interesting breeds are import banned.
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ou..._avian/importing-live-poultry/ct_live_poultry

There is this from the UK.
https://assets.publishing.service.g...4691/process-map-import-livestock-poultry.pdf

What I want you to be aware of is:
1) the USA is a long way from anywhere when you live somewhere.
2) Finding a vendor with the breeds you want at the quality level you should want requires a trip or more to the vendor. The vendor also has to be able and prepared to fill in forms etc.
It is common to find that the best stock are found on farms/smallholdings and these people are not going to be remotely interested in doing the amount of work and paying the money necessary to export a few of their chickens to the USA.
3) there are quarantine costs and conditions to be thought about and paid for apart from the levies/taxes/forms.

So if you factore in a trip to Europe, maybe two to find the breeds that are popular in the USA plus all the legal costs and the quarantine costs you will begin to understand why for even the large breeding concerns importing new blood is very expensive.

To make it clear, I will not be doing this anytime soon as I only this year got into poultry keeping and have yet to breed my own birds. But in the further future I am hoping to breed chickens and coturnix quail. But my problem is there are very few good breeders of coturnix quail online and I would like to add some fresh bloodlines to the US but am unsure how places like SouthWestGameBirds do it. Does anyone on here know anything about this? Thx,
Why do you think there are very few good breeders of coturnix quail in the US?

Why do you think there are very few good breeders of coturnix quail in the US?
I just couldn't find many online and I have a feeling backyard breeders normally use the online breeders. I guess I assumed that a bit since I can't find many breeders online and quite a few of the ones coturnix corner recommended have when out of business. One day I would love to be a quail breeder and was considering importing hatching eggs or something later on in my breeding (I was planning to first buy quail from online breeders then once my stock got old if I couldn't find more good breeders then maybe import but we'll see). Thank you for your time,

Back
Top Bottom