How do ducks handle cold?

I'm still wondering if those whose ducks are just fine in very cold weather might let us know what breeds or weights they are talking about.

I suspect that some of the smaller breeds (runners, calls), just may not have as much body mass to insulate them as, say, Pekins, Rouens, etc. I also suspect that six small ducks cannot keep themselves as warm by bunching up as twenty Pekins.

So I have a potentially silly question. I have 2 ducks that I got from someone in November. We weren't ready for them to go straight outside right away so we told the lady we got them from that we would be putting them in a kennel in the basement for a few weeks. I was told that we had to keep them in for the whole winter because they would lose their "winter coats." Is that true? Or can I put the kennel outside and tarp the sides as a windbreak and build them a 3 sided straw shelter? I would really like to get them out of the house so they can stop yelling at me every time I walk past the basement stairs! And also so they can make a mess in their water and swim in their mixing tub.

yuckyuck.gif

Believe me I hear every word you are saying here!! My ducks that i do have in the basement hatched end of October and I to was told not to put them outside until spring for the very reason, they don't have enough fat or down to protect them from the cold, there wasn't time to build all that up. So I'm listening to the wise ones here and keeping them in until probably March/April. I'm not sure but I to am more then ready to have them go outside. I walk past the basement or open the basement door and they are yelling at me. I clean the rabbits cages and I'm hearing them yelling at me where one day it was to much for me and I had to yell at them to SHUT UP!!! Just like kids, they only listened for a few seconds then yelled back. However I do let them outside for an hour or so or as I've mention before until I see their behavior. Mine are runner/rouen mix. The 2 adults I have don't seem to handle the cold as well. Or they are just spoiled rotton and know how to play and tug at my heart strings to bring them in.​

Quote:
Well, it makes sense that yours aren't ready if they hatched in October, but mine were hatched last year in spring. They are pekins and are plenty fat. I just wondered if they really can lose the down they already had. There are quite a few shed feathers in their pen but since I've never had ducks, I don't know how much is normal. I wouldn't say they are molting per say. But yes mine get the "OH MY GOD, DUCKS! SHUT UP!" quite frequently. I was hesitant to even ask this question because I got them from a BYCer and I didn't want her to think that I was challenging her. I just know we'd all be a lot happier if they were pooping outside! I can't imagine how you deal with more than 2 inside. As for yours tugging on the heart strings, just because they can tolerate the cold, doesn't mean they enjoy it. I'd rather be in the house too!

I'm still wondering if those whose ducks are just fine in very cold weather might let us know what breeds or weights they are talking about.

I suspect that some of the smaller breeds (runners, calls), just may not have as much body mass to insulate them as, say, Pekins, Rouens, etc. I also suspect that six small ducks cannot keep themselves as warm by bunching up as twenty Pekins.

2 degrees F this morning, our duckies coldest day yet, and my six Khaki Campbell were unhappy but came out to enjoy the sunshine and eat and drink. They patiently waited while I tossed and cleaned their litter and went back in.

We chose the Khaki Campbell - a breed begun in the late 1800's from an Indian Runner and a Rouen, then later bred to a Mallard - because they are known to be good in both below freezing, which happens occasionally here, and humid weather...which happens often. They are also bred to be good egg layers.

They are very gently, cannot fly more than about four feet high or far, no wings clipped, and despite the books saying one male to several females, our three pair all get along well. Possibly this will change when they get older. They were born April 15, 2010 so are nine months old and went from our basement in May at night, to a permanent outdoor yard and free standing shed as pictured above in my other posts. They have progressed from hiding from the snow to playing in it like it is their pond in the teens.

I put up a YouTube video

Yep, we brought them in! -20! My husband said I couldn't tell anyone unless I made it clear they slept on my side of the bed!

Nah, just joking.....they slept in our cat's room, aka cat box - mud room.

The first night we put straw down and gave them food and water. They were like a rock band in a five star hotel, quaking it up all night. no one slept. They are used to going without water from bedtime at 4:30-5 (winter) to about 8am

The next night, -9 only, we decided to fit a box with the pine shavings they are used to sleeping on and no room service....They slept like babies all through the night.

So you see, comparatively it was Motel Six:
wink.png

motel6.jpg

We have 4 ROuens and 3 Khaki Campbells...they were fine in the cold but when temps got below 0 we put a heat lamp in their house...only at night...we five them warm water a couple times a day... they seem happy...no ducksicles yet.
big_smile.png

We have 3 Mallards and 2 Rouens who were hatched end of August and they have been outside through -9F and snow and haven't seemed to mind it at all. In fact as soon as I cracked the ice off their pool, they were right in it splashing around. I put straw down on their run, so their feet don't freeze and I have at least 7-8 inches of straw and bedding in their house which gets fluffed up every day and bedding added as needed. I was worried as well, but I grit my teeth and let them stay outside after someone told me they'd be fine. They said their ducks hate going into their house and she lays down about 4-5 inches of straw outside and the huddle down for the night on there.

The chickens are a different story....but they made it through as well with a little help from a heat lamp in the coop, even though I was told they'd be fine too. (\\
I have to admit I did bring the chickens in one night so I could sleep without worrying about them...)

I have to admit I did bring the chickens in one night so I could sleep without worrying about them...)

Which side of the bed did they sleep on
wink.png

Thank you for the -9 info and your young mallards and Rouens. My cambells are bred originally from both breeds so that gives me great peace of mind.​

Back
Top Bottom