how do i add wheels?

dingofarm

Hatching
7 Years
Apr 16, 2012
We are using a 10x10 chain link dog kennel with a top but we really need to add wheels because dragging it from place to place every few days is tearing it up. We cannot figure out how to add the wheels without it being several inches off the ground. We have not had a problem with predators except for when we let the chickens free range. I look forward to any suggestions you may have about how to add wheels to the chain link "dog kennel". Please add diagrams &/or photos so i can show hubby what to do. There sre pics in my default album.

Ok so i made a few diagrams for you. Basically the idea is the make a wheel that slides into place. It would be up when tractor is in place so that it is sitting on the ground, and in the down position when the tractor is moving.

IDEA 1

(Ignore the arrow BELOW the word axle, the wheel is the big empty white thing with black outline, the arrow ABOVE axle shows where the axle fits in the groove)
Ok, the idea here is the create a mechanism where the wheel can be dropped and locked into position. It needs to be where the wheel will not slide up and out of the groove when resting on the ground. In fact, the bottom groove might need to be turned upside down so the axle of the wheel will rest in the ^. The axle would slide into a top groove when the tractor is in place, so the tire is not on the ground and the bottom of the tractor is. When it is time to move, the edge of the tractor is picked up, the wheel is dropped in to a lower groove so the tractor is lifted of the ground, and then you roll (you have to move all 2 or 4 wheels into position of course). When you are done, you move the wheel back up and then the tractor bottom rests on the ground again.

This seems simpler, but I omitted the pic of the wheel in this one because it is the same thing as 1.

Anyway, what happens here the the axle once again fits in the little groove. It slides up and down into position. The little black thing is a lever. To lift up the tractor, you push down the axle until it is below the little lever, then you close the lever. The "lever" is actually a door lock or something. Like a dead bolt or chain lock. Basically it slides across to the other side and is secured. Like this:

This secures the axle so it can't slide up. This makes the wheel stay down so that the tractor bottom is lifted up. When you are done moving you just remove the lever thingy and let the wheel go up, then stick it back in with the axle above the lever.

I hope this helps!!! I'm only 14 lol. This might take a few minutes to understand, but it would work. Feel free to ask any questions, and i'll check back!

Thanks. Great ideas. My husband looked at them and said except for the fact our pipe (that supports the chain link fencing) is too thin. If any is cut away for connections it will not support. He said if our pipe wsd thicker /bigger it would work. Hr thinks we will just have to use caster wheels with a stem on top And lift the cage at the corner to insert the wheel stem when we want to move it.

we are looking to do the same, I've seen the picture of what your husband is suggesting.
Do you do this yourself or you can buy it?

Back
Top Bottom