How do I breed black stripes out of Welsummer Hackles?

BlueTheBrahma

Songster
Sep 2, 2021
I can get pictures tomorrow to show, but I think the question makes sense without them. The SOP calls for minimal-none black in the shafts of Welsummer Cocks’ hackles and saddles, I have two cocks and one is better than the other when it comes to plumage, but still has faint lines in the ends of his hackles. When it comes to breeding this out, obviously I start with the best roo, but is there a way to know if the hens are carrying the best genes? Will they have paler striping themselves, or maybe the most white shafts in their other feathers? For my Silver Duckwing Welsummers, this is my biggest priority. Egg colour is good, feathers are nice, I just need to sort out this issue, then I can focus on leg colour and get rid of the traces of autosomal red, and finally perfect the faces.
I hope my question makes sense, Thanks.

Neck striping is caused by a recessive gene.
On Modern Game
DD231E13-AA84-4AAA-9F15-BF92159CB0CE.jpeg

Dr. R. Jolly, Glencoe, Illinois

Neck striping is caused by a recessive gene.
On Modern GameView attachment 3667411
Dr. R. Jolly, Glencoe, Illinois
Ah, so it’s one simple gene? I expected it to be more complicated. If I don’t have a perfect male, do you think I should try breeding each hen and see which one produces the best male offspring, and then breed that back to her?

Ah, so it’s one simple gene? I expected it to be more complicated. If I don’t have a perfect male, do you think I should try breeding each hen and see which one produces the best male offspring, and then breed that back to her?
I’m not sure why there’s different expressions if it is caused by a simple recessive but that’s what I read. Not entirely sure I believe it. Maybe it’s true but it’s more complex than that?
You could try that.

I’m not sure why there’s different expressions if it is caused by a simple recessive but that’s what I read. Not entirely sure I believe it. Maybe it’s true but it’s more complex than that?
You could try that.
If it was that simple I feel like they’d have already been bred out of the line before I even got them. But I suppose it’s worth experimenting. Thanks for the help.

If it was that simple I feel like they’d have already been bred out of the line before I even got them. But I suppose it’s worth experimenting. Thanks for the help.
If it is true, well, simple recessives are the worst kind of beast to deal with.

Back
Top Bottom