How do I get my chickens to use their nest boxes?

mrsjohnson0807

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 30, 2012
Marysvale, UT
I am a new chicken keeper and any advice would be so helpful. My girls are getting close to laying age and I was wondering how I encourage them to lay in the nest boxes. They run around my yard all day long and have nothing to do with their coop until it is time to return and roost. I have got golf balls to mimic eggs and making nest box curtains, but hope they will not lay randomly on the property and make better use of their coop. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

You are probably doing everything right. Make sure that they see the golf balls that you have there---so their brains connect that location with a good place to put eggs.

When they are ready they will probably use the nesting boxes. It may just take a little time. Sometimes the first egg (s) take the pullet by surprise...but they will figure it out when the time is right. :O)

Well I finally found my GLW hidden laying spot. I've looked everywhere. The other day I was outside with them, when I realized I hadn't seen her in awhile. So I threw some mealworms out and still no girl, so I went on the hunt and finally found her. About 8 feet up under my shed. Well she finally came out and that evening when they all went to bed, I got a rake and was digging around back there. I could barely reach back there with my 6 ft rake and super long arms, but after about 15 mins of digging out grass, dirt, & sticks, i found them.

We were busy yesterday, so tonight, I got under there and scooped out all the eggs, until I was pretty certain there were no more.

11 eggs we missed out on eating
barnie.gif
. I only poked my rake through one of them. Luckily it didn't stink. Oh well, will get the mesh up tomorrow so the girls can't go under there anymore.

Did you keep them in the coop for about a week or two? I have a cage and a coop connected to it. I kept my first group of chickens in the coop for 2 week then let them out. They got used to the environment. So when it was time for them to lay eggs, they would lay them in the coop

I have 6 chickens, 3 brown leghorns and 3 New Hampshire Reds. They have their coop but my husband was slow with getting the run completed. So they free ranged. They are 20 weeks. Very new to this. One of the Leghorns started laying on 3 days ago and had 2 tiny eggs, it was before the run was done, she skipped a day and has layer Friday and Saturday, but only if I let her out and she goes where she made her nest behind the shed. Will she get used to the nesting boxes? I also have a NHR nesting in the coop no interest in the boxes. Ideas please or suggestions?
Welcome to BYC!

You might put some fake eggs or golf balls in the nests...or just wait....tho one of my just laying pullets wouldn't use the nest until I took the golf balls out of the nest.

The messing with the nest bedding is just part of laying, they are preparing a nice bowl to lay in.....they'll probably do it less once they get the hang of laying....but when I put fresh straw in the nests they need to do a little rearranging.

Keeping them confined to the coop for a few days, all day/night or at least until about mid afternoon, can help to acclimate them to laying in the nest.

Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for 3-4 days (or longer) can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop 24/7 for a few days to a week, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

make sure they dont sleep in their nest boxes and hens like to lay eggs in boxes were there are already eggs so the golf balls are a good choice
wink.png

I used golf balls in my laying boxes.The first of my hens started laying a month ago.She laid her first egg in front of the coop and then used the box for about a week.When the other 8 started laying they made a nest with the straw in front off the laying box.So that's where they all lay now.lol

Back
Top Bottom