How do I get my hens to use poultry nipples ?

Labarrie

In the Brooder
Aug 11, 2015
Canada
Hello

recently I got seven laying hens at a local auction they came with pinned blinders on I recently took them off and now I want them to use the poultry nipples. Monday cooled I taught them when they were young to use poultry nipples hey sadly got killed by a :( raccoon please help

Mine usually figure it out on their own. If your worried they haven't figured it out yet, than poke the nipple a few times with your finger to show them where the water is. Also make sure there is no other water available for them to drink.

Well hopefully they will figure it out quickly. Keep an eye on the water level to make sure they are drinking. If the water is not going down than you probably want to make sure they have another source of water. Good luck with your flock!

The best teacher is a chicken. If you can get one curious chicken to drink from it she will teach the others unless they have another source to drink from. chickens don't like change and will not change if they don't have to, but if they get thirsty enough they will watch that one girl drinking and learn in record time.

Back
Top Bottom