How do I get started on selling eggs?

I'm not selling any yet... I only have 6 birds. I've been giving some away.

I have a buddy who says he'll give me $10 a dozen just to get fresh eggs when he wants them. The expensive eggs seem to be $7 a dozen here in Chicago. I need to check the Farmer's Markets.

I think I'll offer eggs to friends for donations to feed the flock. Sort of like a co-op. And they can spend some time with the girls, too. $10 a dozen for fresh "Back Yard Eggs from Happy Chickens" is not too much to ask in Chicago.

NEVER undercut your competition. Unless your sales are a "calling", take a fair price for your product!

Re; #56 of 72
I agree that corn can be a very good food. Especially during the winter. High fat and sugar.
That being said yours(and others') posts triggered a thought process that had been at me for awhile. Thank you. I now know how to put it out there.

I'll look for locally grown, organic, nonGMO feeds for my carefully "hands on" raised "bush, garden, lawn, feild" ranged turkeys, ducks, geese and chickens that I raised from babies. Well, the ones that have survived skunks, coyotes, foxes, feral cats, hawks, owls.............
That will cut down the cost of grains assisted egg and meat production.
I know it's gonna be a tough to find it, but I really want to afford my brother his need to buy himself bigger tires for his $57G Dodge Charger, a newer $5G 88" SmartTV, and sit and sip $250.00 Backus Vineyard Cabrnet Sauvignon Oakville, while he eats day old white bread and "cheaper than store bought" eggs from my chickens.
Right!
Thank you very much but, my wife, children and I will eat my healthier eggs and poultry meat.
If any one else wants it they have the right to trade me for that TV or Charger or Sauvignon. I don't need any of these items but I can trade for more clean feed for my birds and myself.
HAGD
And again Thank you

Going rate in my area here in Maine seems to be $2.00-$2.50 per dozen. But there are also a ton of people selling eggs now! I just cut a customer a break (2 doz for $3.00) since he brought me a few egg cartons. Either way, with what feed costs, there's no way to really make money on eggs up here, I just do it for self reliance/sustainability zombie apocalypse prep...

Ha.. a coworker (and egg customer) just offered to pay me much more per dozen to be my ONLY customer.
He doesn't want to wait in an alphabetical line...
Well of course I'm thinking about it.. lol.

Ha.. a coworker (and egg customer) just offered to pay me much more per dozen to be my ONLY customer.

LOL.. That's awesome.... I have my customers set up on different days of the week with the final four dozen going to my daughters workplace... I got behind a few days when I got an order for incubating eggs and selling the live chicks... Yet another avenue I am exploring.. Got 37 going strong in the bator now, I required half down at the start with the remaining due at time of pick up. I wrote up a mini contract that states the down payment is non refundable unless there is a major loss on my end and that the chicks must be picked up between 3-5 days old, after the 5th day the price increases .50 cents a day per chick. I have three customers in line for the next incubation...seriously considering another incubator but told DH not to sure I want to spend the money on it right now, I wont incubate thru the winter as my heat source is a wood stove and the temp flux plays havoc on my incubator temps.
Yes its my time and effort and the chicks I am selling at $2.50 each, much less then the feed store right now, but the proceeds go twords feed, all my egg/chick/pullet/hen sales go twords feed and chicken supplies.

I also raise rabbits and this past weekend sold all my female kits and some of my males, we made enough to buy 10/50pound bags of feed!!!. we are butchering this weekend and that will leave us with just our two breeding males and two breeding females. That's what this is all about for me, as long as the animals pay for themselves I will contunie to do this.
big_smile.png

Selling to coworkers is easier then having customers all over the city. Just have him purchase his own Lock&Lock brand of plastic locking-lid egg carton (about $7-$8.00) to bring to you every week for refills. Any other brand will not fit XL eggs and Lock&Lock is the only one large enough. I've bought other locking or snap lid cartons and they smash big eggs. You don't want a lot of customers because hens slow way down or completely stop laying during winter months (even some of the so-called winter layers stop) - it's iffy and you'll get customers constantly bugging you. With a coworker you'll get a better understanding with him/her. Our pet store owner has 40 RIRs and BRs that are excellent layers but he laments in the winter of getting only 3 eggs a week from 40 hens so don't think your summer glut of eggs will continue all year round.

Yep.. have some friends that are raising Rabbits and after visiting their operation - that may be in the future for us too :) (Although my tender-hearted daughter will likely hate harvest time, sigh.) They have a neat set-up for sprouting grains: have 5 or so bins for each day of the week, Day 1 soaked seeds, Day 2 is tiny sprouts, etc. They'ss feed Day 3 or 4 to chickens and Day 5 to their rabbits. An inexpensive and fairly nutritious way to supplement food stores. Enjoy your Flock!

Back
Top Bottom