How do I get them to lay in nesting boxes?

junkprospector

Songster
11 Years
Nov 28, 2008
Boise, ID
I just built a new coop - with nesting boxes and outside access - it's a great setup - IF i can convince the hens to use the boxes. I switched from Pine shavings to straw for the bedding - this is a mobile coop with OBS floor above the run. I'm wondering if I should have straw in the main coop ares as well as in the nesting boxes or only in the nesting boxes...
In my old coop, I had the bedding throughout and the girls would lay in the boxes - I'm wondering if I should do something to initially (like only have the straw in the boxes) to coax the hens into laying in the boxes and then maybe gradually put the bedding throughout after they establish the laying patterns - thoughts?

Really! this will tell the hens "HERE's the laying area Ladies..." I'd never have thought of that, I'll have to give it a shot. Thanks!

The advantage of straw is that its better for the compost pile. Disadvantage is more bugs.

I use shavings but the girls tend to move it around and make a bare spot....CRACK!

Also, you can use ping-pong balls...I didn't have any golf balls.

If your girls aren't old enough to lay cover the openings with cardboard or something until they are ready because I had a heck of a time getting them (and the roo's) to quit sleeping in the nest.

they're all old enough except the GSL - the hens are all around 6 months; 2 buff's, 2 Brahma's and a gold sex link that's about 4 months old. the buffs and brahmas are laying. Cool - I'll certainly get some golf balls or ping pong balls tonight. Thanks so much!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom