How do I improve the quality of these eggs/shells?

Keggen

Songster
7 Years
May 24, 2012
Minnesota
What can I do to improve the quality of the egg shells from my hens? They eat layer feed, which they have access to all day, plus they get many days of free ranging on my land (about 3-5 days a week they are let out to roam for hours). I also feed them food scraps now and then and we bring them choice treats like bugs my kids find. Lol

They also have free access to grit and oyster shell, plus occasional egg shells feed back to them.

However I've noticed the qualify of the eggs is declining and I can't figure out why. I've had one consistent layer who lays a gnarly, lumpy egg with sandy bits all over it. Sometimes the shell is really soft. The white is always watery. I always toss that egg (can't figure out who is laying it either).

Then my Welsummer seems to have problems with the sandy stuff all over her egg and the color of the egg is never consistent or "clean" looking. It's always splotchy.

Now for a new twist it seems that another hen (or maybe 2) has been laying one of those teeny tiny eggs that some people call fart eggs. We've had 2 of those this month.

And lastly, I've noticed several of the eggs are starting to show irregular shapes with ridges, or super long oval shapes, or really, really round eggs where you can't tell which end is the air pocket.

All of the hens seem healthy. They are about 1 year old. Always have fresh water. Clean coop. Large run even for days they don't free-range. I haven't changed their main feed.

Some of them had major feather loss on their backs over the end of winter from a rooster who is now gone, but no other health issues. They haven't molted that I can tell. When will that happen? Will it help their eggs when they finally molt?

We've tried multiple brands of feed for them and I do keep oyster shell out, as well as grit, in a separate pan that they have full access to. It seems like some hens are getting too much and they're the ones with the gritty outsides and then some hens aren't getting enough and those are the softer shells. It's hard to find a happy medium.

Try mixing the oyster shell with the feed. I give ours oyster shells with their scratch every Saturday, if I just put it out for them, they don't do anything with it.

Keggen it sounds like you are providing everything needed for healthy chickens. They will get good nutrition by being let out to forage as you are currently doing. I can't think of anything else at the moment to help you out. If it was the occasional egg it would be no big deal but consistently laying these eggs, needs a fix.

On a side note, I had an older hen who would fly onto our property and lay eggs in a nest on the ground and her eggs were always splotchy, gritty, and had some funky waves on the shell. The egg shells were consistently like this. Never did figure out why.

If I come across anything, I'll surely pass it on but truth is I don't know.

Wish ya the best.

Mine are currently on Countryside Organics Layer with a commercial crumble added. I just bought Blue Seal Multi Flock and added that to the coop too for the extra protein. My girls have 24/7 access to oyster and grit and free range a couple hours a day and mostly all day on the weekends. So, I'm stumped.

Back
Top Bottom