How do I keep eggs from freezing?

I know this is a serious subject if you live in the northern regions of the US or in Canada, but just had to insert a bit of humor: I live about 3 miles from the Red River in Oklahoma and we aren't exactly a cold temperature location, but the the artic front that came through day before yesterday dropped our temperature down to about 20*. The water bucket is outside on the south side of the coop and has had ice in it both mornings. This morning the hens were all gathered around the bucket pecking at the nipples. When I went to check, I found ONE of the three nipples was frozen and the hens were all taking turns pecking at the frozen nipple! Silly things! The others were working fine, of course. I just get such a kick out of the funny things they do!
lau.gif

The reptile heaters I've seen need air flow under them....the pet beds often work only when sufficient weight is on them, so shop carefully.

RonP has just set up a seedling mat in his nests.

advanced search>titles only>heated nest

My seedling mats are keeping the nests, and eggs, 19F degrees above ambient nest temperatures.

The mats are fairly inexpensive as compared to other heat sources.

This should (hoping) help keep eggs unfrozen to temps as low as 10F.

We have had someone home all day to pick up the eggs so that none freeze. The chickens are producing a lot more heat than I thought and it is actually quite warm in there! The water is even staying unfrozen! But I have unusual chickens that huddle in the corner to sleep ( for some reason they won't roost) so we just put the water close to that corner so it will stay warm. In the day they are spread out so I know that they aren't cold.

Hey kelsie2290! I just want to ask you if it's okay that I put my egg under a thick glass cup in it's cage to protect from cold weather! it was abandoned and I wasn't prepared.
sad.png
NEED RESPONSE FAST!
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom