How Do I Keep the Humidity Down When They Start Hatching

mkeawsh

Woody Hollow
15 Years
Sep 23, 2007
Beaufort, MO
Okay, the humidity has been great all day along with the temp and now that they are hatching the humdity is spiking. What do I do since I can't open it up to get the humidity down? All the vents are open.

Well, I don't really know what experienced folks would say, I'm fairly new to this.
But, I think the reason you have to keep the bator closed is to keep the humidity up. If you WANT to drop the humidity maybe opening the bator briefly is what you want to do to let some of that moisture out. I hear that humidity that is too high can lead to chicks drowning before they get to start breathing.
Good luck
fl.gif

I wouldn't do anything. Let the humidity spike away. High humidity in lockdown will NOT drown your chicks if the humidity through the rest of the incubation has been ideal. Chicks drown when humidity has been too high for the first 18 days and not enough moisture has evaporated from the egg, leaving the chicks surrounded by fluid. When they break into the aircell and start breathing air, they can inhale this excess moisture and drown. But humidity spikes in lockdown most likely won't do them any harm. I run my lockdowns at 80-85% and I've never had a chick drown...

The humidity will spike on and off throughout the hatching period. It's nothing to worry about. Do not open up the incubator! Sounds like you're on the right track. Congrats on the hatch.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom