How do I know if my chickens are hens or roosters

Maderia4

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 21, 2013
Central PA
OK, I am really new to this chicken stuff but at what point does a rooster crow. I thought all roosters crowed. I am assuming that all of my chickens are hens, after all that is what the sign said at Tractor Supply. Only two of them looks different. The tail feathers seem to be going in the wrong direction. I'd post a pic but can't get this site to access "my pictures" only "my documents". Hopefully I will figure that out soon. Until then please tell me what I should be looking for that will help me figure out if I have any roosters.We've chickens for 13 weeks

Don't know what breeds you have, but single comb breeds pretty much have a common trait. At 6 weeks, the cockerels will sprout red combs and wattles, while the pullets don't normally sprout these characteristics until much later, closer to maturity.

Thus, sexing the birds at 6 to 8 weeks is pretty straight forward. The tail isn't the tell tale sign that a lot of folks think. The cockerels won't show that kind of typical rooster tail until much later in life, close to 5 or 6 months of age.

Once you get used to seeing the difference in the cockerel's stance and strut? That too is a sign. Cockerels often have thicker legs and larger feet as they will become larger birds than their female counterparts. As the cockerel matures, his feather will become exotic as well. He'll flash saddle feathers, which form in front of his tail and drop like saddle bags, thus the name saddle feathers. The head shape of the cockerel is also different. It is squarish, I guess you'd say. He stands erect and is watchful. His upright stance gives him away. They crow as young as 9 weeks, but many will wait until longer, especially in the presence of older birds.

Since your birds are now 13 weeks, you'll know what you have very soon.

Thanks Fred. I don't know what breeds I have either. The chicks were a gift that my daughter purchased at Tractor Supply. The sign read Red Pullets.

I guess before going out and buying a rooster we will just wait and see what we have.

Red Pullets at TSC, if I remember correctly, means a possible mix of reds. Some will be Red Sex Links, while others will be production reds. In either case, the sexing is pretty easy. The birds with combs and wattles at 6 weeks are the cockerels. At 13 weeks, these fast maturing strains of layers sold at TSC would be very easy to spot any cockerels. They'd be head and shoulders above the pullets and they'd already be "in charge". Raspy, hoarse crowing attempts would be heard somewhere if listened for. Since you don't seem to be noticing these behaviors or physical differences, it sounds as if your chicks were sexed as pullets from the hatchery and nobody mixed up the chicks in the bins at TSC.

At this age, the cockerels are really becoming rooster-like in their behaviors and appearance, it would be pretty hard to miss. By 16 weeks, these fast maturing males would absolutely be obvious.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom