How do I know my chickens are Ameraucona or EE

DarkOcean0207

Hatching
Oct 1, 2015
Prosperity PA
I got three hens from a friend that was selling them they are already laying eggs. I got and olive colored egg, a light green egg, and a blueish egg (sometimes its more white then blue). Any ideas would be great. Just wandering :)

Most likely they are Easter Eggers, a delightful chicken and a variety my flock will never be without! If you could post a few pictures, that would be great, but by the sounds of it you have joined the happy EE family!

And welcome to BYC!!

Im not sure if she is ameraucona, shes the one that lays green eggs. The one above her is the olive laying hen (Penelope)

Last edited:
My understanding is that pure Ameracaunas will always lay blue eggs. The Ameracaunas have just a set number of colors that are accepted by the breed standard and I hope someone way smarter than me will chime in with those. Otherwise there are several threads on BYC that discuss the differences between Ameracaunas and Easter Eggers. In your photo I can't see Penelope well (old eyes) but laying green eggs puts her in the Olive Egger/Easter Egger catagory.

I have an EE with a black beard and muff too. I just love that combination and how tough she tries to look. Our Mathilda looks like a Cossack and lays eggs that are blue but with a slight green tint to them! This is Mathilda:

Mathilda is very pretty, I also like the beards. We thought Penelope was an olive egger but weren't sure. I will try to get a good one of Hackle (she lays the blue ish white eggs) soon

Can't make anything out of that picture of Dark Beard. At first I wondered why you would photograph a "dead bird."
gig.gif
We need her UP on her feet for a profile check and also facing camera to check her comb and other features. Even without that I too would think she is an olive egger / Easter egger.

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

Hope you are enjoying your flock and the pretty colored eggs you're getting!

Back
Top Bottom