How do I make a leash

Unruly Chicken

In the Brooder
Jul 1, 2015
I have a few chickens and I hate them having too stay in their pen 24/7 and if I let them out they will run away, how do I make a leash or a harness that will keep them from running but also keep them from getting hurt.

How do you know they will run away?
I have 6 (5 rir's 1 Wyandotte) about 16 weeks old. I started letting only 1 out figuring she wouldn't go far by herself then worked up to letting all 6 out. I let them out for a little while every night even if it's only a short time. They have gotten braver and I had to go into my neighbors yard to get them back. I use my rake to help them along.

Like any animal if you run after them they will only try to get away faster. I guess your could tie some lightweight ribbon or something to a leg. I are your chickens friendly? Mine come running to me if they think I have food. They don't care to be held but they let me pet them.

Although I do not generally think leashing chickens is the best idea, it can however, be done. First and most important though is know and understand that you CAN NOT leash a chicken by the neck. They hate it and will fight and pull against it and eventually strangle themselves. The only proper way to leash a chicken is to tie a length of twine or ribbon to the chickens leg, not to tightly to cut off circulation, but tight enough that the chicken can't slip her foot out. This something else they may struggle against for a bit, but should learn fairly quickly. Also, be advised that if you do leash them,, they will not be able to be kept together in a group like they are used to. Leashing them to close to each other will only get you a tangled mess and possible injured birds from fighting against each other.
As I said,, I do not generally think leashing is the greatest idea. Chickens generally stay fairly close to their feed source. But I also understand there may be instances where it is needed. My grandmother had a gorgeous Jersey Giant rooster once and a bunch of much smaller hens, white leghorns if I remember right. Anyway, he was much to aggresive for the smaller hens when he tried breeding them, and my grandmother absolutley loved him,, so rather than pen him constantly, or get rid of him, she leashed him in different spots in the yard each day thus solving the problem.

If you have a yard that is reasonably safe I'd just let them out to free range. They will come back to the coop in the evening on their own once it starts to get dark. To the chickens the coop is food, water and safety. No need to chase them just go out and lock up the coop after dinner once they are back inside for the night. That's how its been done for ages.

Back
Top Bottom