How do I make new runner ducks follow me?

start living

In the Brooder
Sep 30, 2018
Hey there,

I got myself three Indian Runner Ducks (1,2), for the first time. I have no experience with keeping birds. I prepared an area for them, fenced it in, built a pond and a big polytunnel inside, where I want to keep them during the night. I have them since four days and only kept them in the polytunnel, which has about 50 sqm of walking area. Before I let them out, I wanted to make sure they understand that I feed them, so they follow me and I can lead them back into the polytunnel at the evening with fodder.

So far, it turns out they don't care about me giving them fodder. If I throw wheat grain in front of them, they just don't react to it and stare at me. They only eat it later, when I'm gone. Also, there are still many weeds growing in the polytunnel, which are full of seeds that the ducks eat. Hence, they don't seem to ever get really hungry.

So, I plan on doing the following: Keeping them in there and putting fodder at the same place until they follow me and start feeding directly.

I also provide them with a bucket of water, so they can wash their head.

What would you suggest that I do? I want to let them out during the day, but I also fear, I wouldn't be able to bring them back in later on.

Looking forward for help.

Have you ever seen Dried Meal worms? My Runner Buffs and Muscovys and chickens just about all my birds actually love them and I can get them to do just about anything for meal worms so if you can get some put some in a container with a lid then when you come out side start shaking the can and whistle this alerts your ducks to goodies are on the way. Do this inside their closed in area first by tossing some on the ground in front of them it doesn’t take long to get them addicted. Once they know the same container and whistle then they should associate this with the yummy mealworms. I can get mine to come over half an acre when I shake the can and whistle . Ducks also herd real well being herded you can use your arms wide open walking behind them slowly guiding them where you want them to go or use long poles as extensions of your arms.

Congratulations on owning runners. They are the cutest, most frustrating critters ever. They lay eggs behind hay bales and inside flower beds. Any spilled water on the ground is an invitation to dig holes, lots and lots of holes. And, when male hormones rage, there is no peace and quiet anywhere on the acreage. But, they are quirky and adorable.

Six of my nine have been with me since they were just one or two days old. I kept both batches indoors in a brooder, provided daily feed, watering and handling. Every time I touched any one of them, they all screamed bloody murder.

Initially, when they moved to their outdoor housing, they ran away from me. Eventually, all but two relented. They will -- with the exception of one I brooded and one that was an adolescent when I got her from the breeder -- will eat out of my hand.

In my case, all it took was time. At first, they were all confined to a fenced-in area adjacent to their night shelters (and, yes, they have two shelters because the older ducks and the youngest -- which includes a drake who was SUPPOSED to be a hen -- don't play nice together at night). With each group, I've just had to wait until they were ready to humor me.

I feed mealworms to my chickens, but not my ducks. I read something somewhere that advised against that, though I don't remember where. However, a scoop of cracked corn, shaken loudly, will draw their attention from across the yard. In fact, just opening the garbage can that holds the corn usually triggers a stampede. They all free range during the day when I am home, and once one duck starts to run toward the sound, the frantic parade begins.

The suggestion about herding them with your arms outspread is great advice. That usually worked before mine understood that following me means dinner is served.

My best advice is be patient. Some day, a little light will go on in their ducky heads and they will recognize that the food-bringer is, indeed, their friend. Until then, keep them confined because despite their odd gait, those little buggers are fast!

Ok, now they eat the wheat when I thorow it on the ground and I can get much closer to them. I also fed them dried mealworms, but they actually like the wheat better. I guess it takes some time, before they get addicted to the mealworms. At first they didn't even eat them at all.

Back
Top Bottom