How do I make sure to get the Jugular only?

Rivers

In the Brooder
9 Years
Oct 3, 2010
I need to dispatch my first bird. Id like to do it by cutting the jugular and letting it bleed out. Ideally with a "killing cone" (which I am yet to make).

I was just wondering if there is anyway I can make sure not to cut the windpipe?

You can roast, but from personal experience, the older the bird, the tougher the skin, and I've not found a way to get it good like a young CX - I can cook to end up with nice meat, but the skin, well, it's much thicker, and even roasted carefully, it's thick and hard to chew. At 9 months, that's a bit past my ideal window for roasting to have tasty skin.

Now, stocking - that's where they would both shine in - after processing, chunk them up into parts (leaving the skin on, and you can also put in the neck, gizzards, and heart, though the liver isn't the best for stock), put it all in a big stock pot with some veggies like onions, carrots and celery. Throw some whole peppercorns in. Let them simmer, covered, on a low heat for a few hours. Take them out, shred the meat all off, and them put the bones and stuff back in, add more water and simmer for a couple more hours. Strain through a colander to get the big pieces, then through a cheesecloth for little bits, into pitchers or whatnot (I use a couple gallon pitchers). Stick in the fridge and let them sit for a few hours or the next day. Skim off the hardened fat from the top, put the fat in a tupperware dish in the fridge, and then portion the stock into freezeable containers or baggies for cooking potions (one cup or two). Use the meat for whatever you want.

I like to keep out a part of the fresh stock for chicken noodle soup or chicken and dumplings :) I use the fat for flavoring potatoes instead of using butter.

I had a difficult time finding the right spot, the first few times
sad.png
, but I looked at some pictures (just 'google' some images) to help me locate it. The jugular vein is on the left side of the neck and a good place to aim is just 'below' (or if it's hanging upside down--the right spot will be just 'above' the jaw bone.

Cut deep enough to hit the vein but not so deep that you hit the windpipe. There are some good pics, on this forum, showing the proper place plus there is a different vein on the other side of the neck that bleeds out faster but the jugular is in a better location for me.

I've found it's all in the angle that you cut. If you have the right on, you can't get the windpipe. If I had to estimate the angle, I would guess it to be about 15 degrees from straight up and down. Even if you do get the windpipe, I don't think it makes any difference. The bird will continue to breathe, just taking in air at a different place.

Here is a link to a wonderful tutorial that was written (with pics) by a member of this forum. The 3rd picture down will show you where to cut:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-to-process-a-chicken-at-home

I have read that if you cut the windpipe then the chicken will sometimes spend their last breathes breathing in the blood that is coming out the vein. That is why I try to avoid cutting the windpipe....even if it is only a matter of minutes...my goal is to make the last few minutes of their life as trauma-less as is possible, considering what is happening.

Heh - thanks for posting my tutorial!

I like to hang the birds as shown as I don't have a cone. As seen, it makes it easier on me to do the cut - right where I have the scalpel in the pic, just using firm pressure down and slicing "back". The cut avoids the windpipe, it's very quick, and I rarely nick the windpipe. I sometimes with quickly cut the other side of the neck in the same way for an even faster bleedout, but it's not necessary, and it takes a little more skill that just comes with practice.

Excellent tutorial.

The end product looks delicious. I wonder how much meat there will be on my roosters. They certainly feel a lot bonier that store birds (cornish crosses etc). Genetically my cocks are mainly light sussex, but istead of black feathers they have brown as their father was a red bird. (not sure what)

Heres a picture of the two potential table birds:

Left them too long really, about 9 months old each. They have probably eaten $30 of feed each

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom