How do I make the comb more erect?

dkorthas

Hatching
Apr 30, 2015
Hi, I had about 13 Roos, all 4 months old. I picked the Roo with the most erect comb for the hen house. Most of the Roos combs had folded over. Breed has extremely large combs. (Barbezieux) The comb has now started to fold over and I was wondering is there anything I can do to stand it up or will it get better as he matures. Everyone is very healthy and has fresh food water daily and are free ranged. Thanks, Don

Some breeds combs are supposed to flop over. If they are, then genetically that is what they're predisposed to do. There's nothing you can do to change the breed characteristics other than select for a different characteristic for many generations.

Some breeds combs are supposed to flop over. If they are, then genetically that is what they're predisposed to do. There's nothing you can do to change the breed characteristics other than select for a different characteristic for many generations.
This breed is supposed to have a very large and fully erect comb. Was strange that none of the roos had that and this one is about half way folded over already.

Different lines of any breed can have different characteristics and it is unlikely that the line you have is the same line they have in France.

I think the "what to expect" section that Greenfire Farms puts on their terms and conditions page is very interesting and holds true for most breeds that are extremely rare.

It states:
"What You Should Expect. You should expect birds that reflect the fundamental attributes of the breed. You should not expect a cosmetically perfect bird. In fact, you should expect to find some defects in virtually every bird you raise. Just as every child is not destined to become a supermodel, every bird is not destined to win ribbons at shows. Only a tiny fraction of chickens conform to their breed standard in all respects. We do not represent that every bird we sell is show quality or is flawless. You should receive birds that can be the foundation for a breeding program that with enough time and skill can produce show-quality birds. You should also realize that the rarer the breed, the more likely you are to encounter problems related to inbreeding. For some breeds and varieties that we sell, the global breeding population consists of fewer than a dozen hens. We cull for obvious defects like crooked toes, but low fertility, low egg production, low disease resistance, and other challenges are not uncommon with extremely rare breeds. If you encounter these challenges when the birds become adults, you will need to address them with your own breeding plan."

I work with a breed that has an extremely small gene pool. Improving to a standard involves hatching a lot, culling a lot and keeping meticulous records. Over time you can get them to where you want them. There can be many setbacks but persistence pays off.

Hi, I had about 13 Roos, all 4 months old. I picked the Roo with the most erect comb for the hen house. Most of the Roos combs had folded over. Breed has extremely large combs. (Barbezieux) The comb has now started to fold over and I was wondering is there anything I can do to stand it up or will it get better as he matures. Everyone is very healthy and has fresh food water daily and are free ranged. Thanks, Don
Mine are direct from Greenfire and all have erect combs. One has a smaller comb missing a point but the other 3 look good. I did get 1 hen with a floppy comb though. If you look at the pics of GFF's birds they do have some floppy combs as well.

Back
Top Bottom