How do I pick!

TLWR

Crowing
11 Years
Jul 10, 2010
southern AL
I knew I should have only brought 2 of them home. At least then it would be one or the other.
Of the 3 here, there is a black with some white and a cool little beanie on his head, a blue bibbed and a lighter blue bib. I like them each for different reasons.

When I ordered my hatchery 3, their personalities out of the box were what they were. Blue was friendly and out going and would sit next to you and you could touch her no problem. Ally would follow Blue and if it was ok by Blue, it was ok by Ally. Then there was Cadbury who wanted nothing to do with me at all and is still like that. She'll come near, but always out of arms reach. After Blue died last year, she took over as lead duck.

Right now, the darker blue bib is the leader of the duckling pack. And mouthy! My goodness does that one peep.
The lighter blue bib follows and is quieter - usually in the middle, when he finds himself in front, he slows down so the first one can take the lead again.
The black one with the beanie is always behind the other 2, first to sit down. And quieter than the first as well.

I'd like a blue bib, but the black with his beanie is cute too (ok, what ones aren't cute!). I have a female blue runner on the way. If I KNEW one of these 3 was a girl, I'd keep that one and take an extra, but I can't chance 2 boys. Too late to vent sex and I'm afraid to do that anyway.

DH is liking the lighter blue bib one so far.

Oh my gosh ! I can relate to how you must be feeling! This must be such a hard decision!
hit.gif
I really don't know! Can you keep them all, lol????

I knew I should have only brought 2 of them home. At least then it would be one or the other.
Of the 3 here, there is a black with some white and a cool little beanie on his head, a blue bibbed and a lighter blue bib. I like them each for different reasons.

When I ordered my hatchery 3, their personalities out of the box were what they were. Blue was friendly and out going and would sit next to you and you could touch her no problem. Ally would follow Blue and if it was ok by Blue, it was ok by Ally. Then there was Cadbury who wanted nothing to do with me at all and is still like that. She'll come near, but always out of arms reach. After Blue died last year, she took over as lead duck.

Right now, the darker blue bib is the leader of the duckling pack. And mouthy! My goodness does that one peep.
The lighter blue bib follows and is quieter - usually in the middle, when he finds himself in front, he slows down so the first one can take the lead again.
The black one with the beanie is always behind the other 2, first to sit down. And quieter than the first as well.

I'd like a blue bib, but the black with his beanie is cute too (ok, what ones aren't cute!). I have a female blue runner on the way. If I KNEW one of these 3 was a girl, I'd keep that one and take an extra, but I can't chance 2 boys. Too late to vent sex and I'm afraid to do that anyway.

DH is liking the lighter blue bib one so far.

Why Do you have to chose ? Post pictures if they are more mature there are tons of people on here that raise ducks and will probably be able to tell you from a good clear picture ..

They are runners. They sound like not quite week old ducklings. No way to sex them other than vent sexing and we missed that window, now to wait until they quack or not. Two of them go to their new home on Monday. 1 goes when the order of ducks come in as I have 2 ducklings in there for the other teacher as well.

I have 2 ducks on the way in the mail next week. I can only keep 1 of this group hatched at school or DH might toss me in the new duck house LOL

And now there are 4 because I had to bring the lone guy left at school home last night, so have another tiny little black one here too.

Nicky - that's how I told DH I'm going to have to do it LOL
But we are both leaning toward the same 2 of the original 3 we had. But now there is a tiny little 4th black one in there

L to R
Duck 3 (darker blue bib), Duck 4 (black), Duck 1 (lighter blue bib), Duck 2 (aka, Adam due to his early beanie hat hair do (black with some white bibbing and a funky head coloration on top))

Duck 1-3 were born on Monday, Duck 4 was born on Tuesday - he seems so much tinier (yes, I refer to them all as he)

Duck 4 climbing on top - he spent Friday with a stuffed animal friend at school since his hatchmate died overnight. When I went in Friday night to get him, he was curled up with his bear on top of him. Seems to be how he likes to sleep now.

Duck 4 has some white fuzz in his chest, not yellow - white. (and you can see Adam's beanie still - it's fluffed up now, but he's still got a beanie!)

Duck 4 - can see size difference

Leaning toward Duck 1 and Duck 2. But Duck 4 hasn't been here very long. Right now he seems kind of "special" - he's not figured out preening himself yet and I had to help him after a quick swim. He swims kind of upright like he's treading water, but not like my big girl ducks do - kind of neat - and then he falls over lol
I'd love a blue bibbed, but I'd also love a black male (but not really a black female). I have a blue female on the way ~Wed, but 2 of these guys go to their new home on Monday.

I think I'll be keeping Adam (and giving him a name change). But they will all go to school with me tomorrow and hopefully the other teacher taking one will pick her duckling (I'm pretty sure I know which one it will be - likely the other we were considering keeping) and the other 2 will go to their new home with the owner of the company.

But it could all change and I could be bringing somebody else home tomorrow night (well, I'll be bringing 2 anyway as the other teacher won't take hers until I get the order of our ducklings in this week).

Back
Top Bottom