How do I prevent cannibalism?

sudolph

In the Brooder
12 Years
Feb 24, 2007
Texas
My 15 hens are a very nice flock as long as there is no raw meat around. My roo got an injured toe in April, and they nearly ate it off until I wrapped it with mesh bandage for two months. Four weeks ago he barely survived a dog attack losing all his tail feathers and sustaining some bites to the bone on his back. Those are all healed up now, but his entire butt is bare and pink. I would like to let him out of sick bay tomorrow, but I fear these cannibalistic hens. I can't bandage his whole rear end.

My intention is to be proactive and cover him with something before I let him out and then watch carefully, but I can't be there every minute. I have some purple stuff called "Peck No More," but it looks like it will rub right off. Some people have suggested axle grease and black pepper. My father would probably have put tar on him. What do you guys suggest?

He's a great guy, and I don't want to perpetuate the cannibalism or make him suffer more. He's survived so much already and has been a defense for his girls.

Thanks for your time.

I have only heard about this 'Pine Tar'? But I think it is good for that. I don't know if it stings or not. Probably better than getting eaten alive though.

I know it is a pain (no pun intended,) but we just keep the chickens that are bare or pink in the sick cage until feathered. We do this with hens that have been ripped open by the roos, too.

If it were chicks doing the pecking and such, it is easily to fix by making sure a red brooder lamp is used for their heat.

Hope this helps....

Dawn

Once chickens get the taste the will turn to canibals very quick. Make sure they have enough room or that will also make them peck.

If one has a wound or injury you need to remove them immediately and I would not allow them to re-enter until healed. You could try blu-kote on the wound or bare skin it will stay blue for a long time and stains so becareful when you use it.

When you have him re-enter watch carefully to make sure they are not reattacking.

Back
Top Bottom