How do I raise the humidity?

Badbaby05

Chirping
9 Years
Jan 17, 2011
I have a cabinet style bator, the temp is around 98 to 100 but the humidity is around 30%. I have a dish the size of a sandwich container but a bit longer with a sponge in it and it's just barely getting to 32%
barnie.gif

I need some help with this one. How do you get ur humidity up???

I had the very same issue with my mini-fridge bator. I couldn't keep it much over bout 35 percent. I put a small drinking glass close to heat bulb. And that took the humidity up to right at 45ish percent. And when lockdown comes I have a waterjug with an old (clean) sock hanging in to it....like a wick.

In the trial run (no eggs) when I filled the wick container my humidity would go up to 65 to 70 percent.

so I acually have 3 water containers in my bator. A glass bread dish under wire floor under eggs, a glass close to bulb, and the wick sock hanging.

The main thing with humidity I learned and have been told is to increase surface area. not so much put in a bucket, but a cookie sheet. more surface is more evaporation..equals more humidity.

Good Luck.

TNT

First of all is your hygrometer accurate? You can search BYC for ways to calibrate it.

Surface Area of water = humidity. If you need to increase the humidity I have had good luck cutting the sham-wow type material into strips and using it like wicks to draw moisture up out of a dish. Or try another water bowl. Or add more wet sponges in other places of the incubator.

Hanging it from the racks is a very good idea. I have the hygrometer in a bag with the salt slurry stuff. I'm hoping it's way off, I really don't want to battle with humidity. Will update with my findings.

Hygrometer is off by about 2%...did the wick thing with great results, so good that I put in a test batch of eggs
fl.gif
Lets all hope and pray this works out

I also had a hard time keeping humidity up. (I have to run a humidifier sometimes in the winter, it's REALLY dry here.) Sponges weren't doing it for my incubator.

Finally I found a shamwow knockoff in a dollar store. Folded it in half and put it in a plastic shoebox lid. Twice a day I pour a glass of hot water over it. That works great! Those things hold a LOT of water. You might try attaching it vertically with just a corner stuck in a glass of water.

Back
Top Bottom