How do I stop the Egg Song?

I'm also confused as to why they started to lay so much earlier all of a sudden - the first week it was around noon, and after my parents started letting them out the whole day they started laying a lot earlier (6:30 - 8 AMish)

Egg production is tied to daylight cycle.

excuse me... romance?
And yes, now you are facing the reality of keeping chickens instead of living in the fantasy land of 'wouldn't having a few chickens be nice'. Reality is that chickens are vocal, social creatures. Hens can make just as much noise as roosters. And egg songs don't just happen after laying eggs.

Partly depends on breed and age how often they lay. It is "supposed" to take 25 hours for an egg to finish forming. In theory they would get a little later each day until they took the day off and started early in the morning after that. So noon is kinda late and then the cycle began again. I can hear 1 of my neighbors egg songs at 3 pm this week. They will be hearing ours one day, and a roo or two also!
tongue.png

Barking dogs can be as bad or worse..

When I did live in the city, it was a corner lot & my closest neighbor had dual pain windows and ac on all the time. I had single pain and could hear tons of stuff. So that circumstance could also effect the situation.

Ultimately it's important to be respectful to your neighbors/parents and kind/humane to your hens.

Best wishes!

So sorry you are in the situation to have to worry about the egg song. It is one of the enjoyable parts to me--but I don't have close neighbors. Hopefully it will not be a problem. Maybe if you share some eggs with them they won't mind as much and may come to love the noise!!
D.gif

So sorry you are in the situation to have to worry about the egg song. It is one of the enjoyable parts to me--but I don't have close neighbors. Hopefully it will not be a problem. Maybe if you share some eggs with them they won't mind as much and may come to love the noise!!
D.gif
Haha I told my mom, and she was all like "Why would they want EGGS?" "??????"
lau.gif

I have this issue with my girls they are salmon faverolles and LOUD. My buff orpingtons are quite as a mouse. They dont make any peeps they are around 12 weeks we shall see when thay are laying if tbey will be vocal. Theres not much you can do about the noise. I keep the run highly secured and the coop open so they dont have to wait to be let out, this helps alot. I also let them out every morning so they can free range for 30 min while i tend to the garden that seems to help. If they are complerely set on being loud ill put half a watermelon or a vine of grales it keeps them occupied. Most of my neighbors have chickens so we all dont mind the clucking

No....Seriously, junebuggena gave you the only realistic solution.

Sigh...Romance meets Reality.... once again.
i'm just asking. also, it seems like they're just singing the egg song in order to be let out into the yard. and one chicken, the one that lays at around 8-9, is the main "screamer". i'm starting to wonder if she's 'lonely' or just wants to use the nest box at the same time as the other hen (there are two). as soon as i (or the other hen) comes out, she shuts up immediately. and when the other hen is done laying, she shuts up, spends some time with her, and goes to lay. which of these seems more likely?

To give a tip to the person who originally started this thread, I would build a few extra nest boxes. True you can't stop the "egg song", but you can decrease it by a large margin.

Back
Top Bottom