how do I train my new pullets to roost on the branch I put in the coop?

welcome-byc.gif
Good luck with your poultry raising adventures, and I hope you find everything you need to know. Don't forget to take a look at BYC's very useful learning center (If you haven't already)! The learning center as well as the forum should answer your questions! There is always something new to learn! Glad to have you here! See you around with the flock.
It should be their instinct to sleep on the roost.

images

Welcome to BYC!

Are these chicks in the coop? If so, you need to block off your nest boxes until they are ready to lay. At dusk when you go out to lock them in, get them all on the roost bar. Keep putting them back up and if you do this in the dark, they will stay. After a couple nights of getting them on the bar, they will learn to go there themselves. When they get close to laying, you can reopen the nest boxes.

Good luck with your flock and welcome to ours!

Not all chickens sleep in a roost
wink.png

And it is not just the breed just a habit
hu.gif

These lady's would rather sleep with the rest of them ...

I have to manually put this pair in here or they sleep on
the swamp cooler ..
wink.png

The most important thing is up high to avoid the Bob-Cat
he.gif

Any more questions ...
highfive.gif

gander007
old.gif
Are those Russian Orlaff?!?!?!

I'm a new member and chicken Dad. I got my two Road Island Reds from a feed store. They had been raise on the ground their whole life. They are starting to sleep in the nest. how do I get them to sleep on the roosting branch?
How big is the branch? I mean is it wide? Chickens don't cling to branches by curling their toes around them like wild birds and parakeets - they sit on them. A 2x4 with the wide side up is just about perfect size-wise, so if your branch is a rather skinny one they may not want to be on it.

Thanks.... It is a little bigger than a hanger rod. I'll try something bigger. Learning something new every day on this site. Great people here willing to help.

Thanks.... It is a little bigger than a hanger rod. I'll try something bigger. Learning something new every day on this site. Great people here willing to help.
Thatll work for littluns but when they get their big girl pants on
lau.gif
they will need more foot space....

deb "Who did the very same thing for hers Only to find out the "roost" twirled" My dad laughed sooo hard at me.

Back
Top Bottom