How do they understand daylight?

atomic_chicken

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 21, 2011
B.C. Canada
So, I have 1 out of 6 hens laying right now. They are all in and and around 24 weeks old. I have lights inside my coop and outside in the run.
I turn my coop light on at 4:30am and then turn my run lighting on at 5:45am when the pop door opens.

The run lighting turns off at 10:00 am when it is bright enough outside and the coop light (15watt) turns out at 4:20pm which is just at dusk so the chickens are already on the roost.

I just added the extra time at the end of the day all at once.
idunno.gif
. Do you think the chickens will recognize this as longer days or have I just thrown a wrench into my egg supply?
D.gif

Last edited:
@ Fred's Hens

I just read your home page and was very impressed with your thoughts and your knowledge about chickens. In the time since you posted on my topic and now I was able to go outside and experience watching one of my hens lay an egg.(for the first time!) Besides the fact that a chicken being able to produce eggs every couple of days is a miracle. I felt a little humbled to be standing in the sunshine and cold in my backyard and be part of something than was bigger than just me. Great writing!!!

To anyone who hasn't taken the time I would direct you to Fred's Hens home page,

Thanks again.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom