HOW do we cull this ROO?

Culling methods for me depend on the age of the bird. Chicks and small birds, there is nothing easier than just snapping their neck - no blood, just a lot of flopping. be careful with young chicks though - ripping the head off is kind of traumatic.

I have never had to cull a full grown standard rooster. I honestly do not know what I'd do in that situation besides give it to my husband and make him cope. Not out of squeamishness, but out of lack of faith that I'm strong enough to humanely and quickly kill the bird.

Well I killed my first one this weekend and it was aweful.
I do not mind processing them, I just hate the killing part.

This rooster looked big but was all feathers. Musta plucked enough feathers to cover 3 birds. The carcass looked like a store bought hen carcass.

I felt like that lady from the Where's the beef commercials.

This is the part not many are willing to partake on. If you can find someone that knows how to do it and is willing to either process for you or show you how to do it. I try to stay practical about it. The birds are for both enjoyment and for food.

If one is mean he / she becomes food and everyone else enjoys the peace with the bully gone.
big_smile.png

Quote:
And there you go! When I was a kid, we would buy day olds, hatch some of our own, etc. about 80% went into the freeser, and the rest were for eggs. While they are fun to watch and make fun of sometimes, in the end, for me (other opinions will vary) chickens are a food source. Period.

I think you did the right thing too. I honestly cannot believe all the emotions surrounding a food source. YES, I love animals, we rescue all the time. Yes, I believe in "humane" treatment, as in don't torture them...yes I want to enjoy our chicken's personalities..but seriously people..how are most of us ever going to survive if the stores shut down. ...goodness ..chicken care has become as touchy feely as the need to care for a newborn human.
hmm.png

I was an only child city girl...I can remember going to a friend's house and seeing her dad cull turkeys on a stump and one went running around..yea..and I am ok!
roll.png

I have done roos, and I did the cone, and a sharp knife and it was over for both me and the roo, fast. The problem with the hatchet is that I am not that good of aim
roll.png
Many times I have hit my thumb with a hammer, and chopping wood has been dangerous!

My SIL held the feet in the cone, I pulled back on the comb and cut until there was a steady stream of blood. It went mostly on the stump, a little on my hand, but nowhere else. Quick and painless, and minimum thrashing.

MrsK

Mrs. K :

I have done roos, and I did the cone, and a sharp knife and it was over for both me and the roo, fast. The problem with the hatchet is that I am not that good of aim
roll.png
Many times I have hit my thumb with a hammer, and chopping wood has been dangerous!

My SIL held the feet in the cone, I pulled back on the comb and cut until there was a steady stream of blood. It went mostly on the stump, a little on my hand, but nowhere else. Quick and painless, and minimum thrashing.

MrsK

Yes, I feel the same way. I have never truly learned or been any good at swinging a hammer. Swinging a hatchet is just plain scary!

As for another previous post (actually a couple), I agree with the fact that chickens are a food source. And a main one at that, at least in my family! My dog also loves chicken, and its enough for two meals. I plan on putting every single part of the bird to use, not wasting an inch. What we don't consume will be given to Dakota. Its a win-win the way I see it. We get fresh eggs from layers, good food from broilers (or culls I imagine), all the while knowing that I am proving for my family with something healthy and local. I haven't got any chickens yet though, so we'll see if I can keep this mind set. lol​

Back
Top Bottom