How do you catch your chickens?

im not to good at it, but my daughter is some kinda chicken whisperer! shes only 3 but she runs up behind them and they squat to the ground and dont move then she scoops them up.. she used to catch them by their tail feathers and they would be flapping their wings like a kite ! maybe they figured its just less painful to squat and wait now... who knows.
LOL! Your daughter grabbing their tail feathers established the pecking order and showed them she is boss!
lau.gif

With this lot we tend to wait till they put themselves to bed because they don't move when you go near them and its still daylight.

With our old ones we always patted their back till they sat then you could puck them up no worries. Think it sort of hypnotized them and even my 3 year old would just walk up stroke and then pick up. This lot of bantams are more flighty though so we use the bedtime method

Hey Fred, any secret tips on how to make or use these? I've tried before but I had a hard time getting the hook the right shape or size, it seemed, or maybe I wasn't using it right--since either it seemed too snug to get on or the foot would just slide out. Also the chickens seemed terrified of it and would just jump over it, yanking their feet out of the way, essentially playing jump-rope with the hook. I found it hard to be precise enough to snag them with a long handle, and using a short handle wasn't much more effective than just reaching out and grabbing a leg with my hand. So any of your grandmother's old secrets would be really welcome, haha! Thanks!

The shape of the hook takes some tweaking and experience, but it must be shaped so that the lower leg is guided into the back of the loop. The back of the loop must be small enough so that the bird cannot slip its foot through the loop. If the metal used is high in copper, it is able to be tweaked, with your hand, according the age/size of the bird. If the bird's foot slips through, you've got to be able to squeeze the loop into a tighter, smaller hook. If the leg will not fit into the hook, it needs to be molded slightly larger. You get so you do this on the fly. Make an attempt, and then gauge whether you need it slightly larger or smaller, appropriate the bird you're after.

Hide the hook along your leg. Yes, they learn very, very quickly what that hook is for. Move slowly, keep them calm. You cannot make attempt after failed attempt. You'll get them so riled up that it harder and harder. Better to do this hooking in a confined space, such as a small pen. Many times, the bird will hop up on a nest box or lower roost. Bingo. That's the best "shot" you're ever gonna have. LOL

Squatting birds are easy. Just pick them up. Pick them sleeping off the roost? Easy. But, sometimes you've got to grab one in the middle of the day. Hope that helps.

It's just like tennis or a gold swing or hitting a 90 mph slider in baseball. Practice, practice, practice.
wink.png

The shape of the hook takes some tweaking and experience, but it must be shaped so that the lower leg is guided into the back of the loop. The back of the loop must be small enough so that the bird cannot slip its foot through the loop. If the metal used is high in copper, it is able to be tweaked, with your hand, according the age/size of the bird. If the bird's foot slips through, you've got to be able to squeeze the loop into a tighter, smaller hook. If the leg will not fit into the hook, it needs to be molded slightly larger. You get so you do this on the fly. Make an attempt, and then gauge whether you need it slightly larger or smaller, appropriate the bird you're after.

Hide the hook along your leg. Yes, they learn very, very quickly what that hook is for. Move slowly, keep them calm. You cannot make attempt after failed attempt. You'll get them so riled up that it harder and harder. Better to do this hooking in a confined space, such as a small pen. Many times, the bird will hop up on a nest box or lower roost. Bingo. That's the best "shot" you're ever gonna have. LOL

Squatting birds are easy. Just pick them up. Pick them sleeping off the roost? Easy. But, sometimes you've got to grab one in the middle of the day. Hope that helps.

It's just like tennis or a gold swing or hitting a 90 mph slider in baseball. Practice, practice, practice.
wink.png

Cool, thanks! That helps a lot.
goodpost.gif

Rather than chasing and netting you should just handle them more often. If you have to many to provide enough attention to each just pick a couple favorites. If they are pets then they SHOULD be friendly. Chasing them is only enforcing the scared running behavior. Hold them and walk around with them. If they flap turn them upside down for a sec but keep hold. After they relax after like 15 min try setting them down. If they flap and try to run dont let them go. Hold them a bit longer. If they walk calmly then youve made progress. Use snacks like scratch grains, corn, mealworms etc. Eventually you will gain their trust after theyve eaten out of your hand. I have 27 chickens and the only ones that wont willingly allow me to pick them up are the Sumatras(More wild breed) but they will eat out of my hand allowing me to easily grab them:). I have Sebrights, D'uccles, Polish, Cochin, RRI. They will all eat right out of my hand therefore I dont need to finagle with nets and hooks. Never even thought about doing it that way.
Really? Wow, mine would never let me just pick them up like that. There's 11 of them and I hang out with them for a while every day and I have since they were hatched. They're 7 weeks old now. But I haven't really carried them around long-term, I just figured they liked being on the ground better. I will try your method of just carrying them around until they're calm and used to it. I guess I just have to force them to get used to being handled? This is my first time owning chickens, so I'm learning as I go. I appreciate all of the helpful advice! I know they like me because sometimes they'll run over to me when I call to them. But if I try to approach them they scatter before I can get too close.

We've been giving them start and grow feed, which they love. We haven't given them any scratch yet. But I did let them have some of the grapes that I was eating today and they LOVED them! So I may have a new treat in my arsenal to work with. Maybe because I haven't carried them around when they didn't want to be carried, they don't think of me as an someone they have to behave for. I guess that's how I'll have to show them that I'm at the top of pecking order around here, huh?

The only chickens that come up to me when I call or come around are the one's that have been around over 2 years. Which is only 3 of them. Others miss out on good treats because they won't come around.

I usaully just put treats in my hand squat down they come up start eating and wala I grab one. :)

That's exactly what I did today. There are a few that aren't as likely to let you pick them up. I stayed around them, moving slowly,and grabbed them. They didn't try to peck me. I petted them gently, and they didn't even scramble when I put them down. Was surprised.

Back
Top Bottom