How do you clean a chicken?

robinh

In the Brooder
12 Years
Feb 22, 2007
missouri
We are killing our rooster, he is getting way to violent. We've never ate any of our birds, but i don't see any sense in wasting the meat, and he is a little old would the meat be any good to eat anyway??

He would be great for stew....chicken and noodles, chicken and dumplins. I dont think frying or bakeing would work tho, might be too tough. Now....for the cleaning....there are different ideas..but this is what I plan on doing tomorrow...with 8 cornish X.

First....get a VERY sharp ax...and a tree stump. Chop off his head. Now, DONT freak out...his body will flop a little...its just a muscle reaction.
If possible....tie his feet together, let him hang from a tree branch for a few minutes...to bleed out.

While he is hanging...boil a BIG pot of water...you will need to dip him in the water for a few seconds maybe a min) to soften the feather quills. Then take it out, and start plucking....we do ours right by the bon fire....so I can throw the feathers in the fire. You may(WILL) need to dip it in the water a few times. Keep the water boiling!
When you get it cleaned of feathers....time to open it up. Around the tail...cut from the bum hole towards the chest....you will want to remove the tail as well. Then reach in there, and start pulling! ( We will have a deep hole for the "innards")
With a sharp knife....remove the feet....and WALAH! Dinner! Good luck.

I just joined a yahoo group that has all the info you need on the subject. Once you join, just go to the files section for poultry. It has pics showing the details although they aren't the best quality, but will give you the idea.

Here's the link in case you are interested.
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/HomeProcessing/

Good luck!

thank you guys for the info, sorry took soo long to respond, my bf was sooo mad for what he did to dis daughter he just broke his neck and threw him in the woods, didn't feel like messin with him, but i will know for next time if we ever want to eat one, thnx again!!

Quote:
ep.gif

Back
Top Bottom