How do you cut a plastic tub to make it look neat?

what did I do

Songster
10 Years
Apr 10, 2012
Montana
I'm going to have some chicks on display at a nursing home. The home has a young cat living there I know I need a screen on the top and a viewing window on the side. I have an ecoglow brooder to put inside. Suggestions? Help!

Last edited:
I used a clear Sterilite stackable. I have cats and a dog who were bound to be curious. Not that I am trying to sell that particular brand, but it was the one which happened to be on sale, so I was lucky. It was straight-sided so I didn't lose floor space, and the plastic was softer and less brittle (more like a butter tub, less like a Barbie house). I was able to cut the top with a utility knife.
It was clear so I didn't need to cut a "window" in the side. I could still see the babies, but no heat loss. Also, there was less of a place for baby-chick-smell to seep out and taunt my cats and dog.

I cut mine with a jigsaw and a fine blade. I followed the inner grove on the lid, the drilled small holes about 1/2 inch from cut edge so I could zip-tie the 1/2" "fencing". I also used a clear tote and did not do a side window. The opening on the lid covers most of the area, extra ventilation not necessary.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom