How do you deal with the guilt and grief of rehoming your ducks??

anonymous99

Songster
Jun 20, 2021
I haven't rehomed them yet, but someone is interested in adopting(whatever you wanna call it) them. I feel so guilty and I’m already grieving over rehoming them, but I can’t take care of so many ducks anymore. I love them, but it’s a lot. I’m already crying over rehoming them.

Edit: I have yet to respond to the person for more details, so I’m quite anxious about this.

When I rehomed most of my flock I posted them for $20 each, picked someone that sent pictures of his coop and pond, and then gave them to him for free when he came properly prepared to transport them. I knew they were going to someone who would love them and care for them. I knew they would have a wonderful life. It's easy to let go when you know they'll be alright. If it is causing you grief, maybe your gut is telling you to keep looking for a better home for them.

I just went through this with two of my ducks
The brother drakes were picking on mom ( over mating ) and I had to keep her from the flock as her neck was raw
I cried hard for 2 days before they left and still cry when I think about it weeks later
I had to make changes for my flocks sake and now daisy is able to be back with the group
I keep in contact and am happy both beaker and hope are doing great.he now has 7 ladies to himself including one I sent with so he wasn’t alone at a new home
Just make sure the home they go to treats them well and will keep you updated with pictures

When I rehomed most of my flock I posted them for $20 each, picked someone that sent pictures of his coop and pond, and then gave them to him for free when he came properly prepared to transport them. I knew they were going to someone who would love them and care for them. I knew they would have a wonderful life. It's easy to let go when you know they'll be alright. If it is causing you grief, maybe your gut is telling you to keep looking for a better home for them.
I rehomed my sweet little girl after her sister passed so she could be with chickens and children. It is a beautiful farm with a pond. I am so grieving the loss of my ducks. I am so depressed. I know I did the best for her, but I miss her so bad. I love my little ducks so much. I guess the fear is what if they don’t love her like I did? This was probably one of the hardest things I’ve ever done. It is very complicated emotionally. I guess my answer to this question is it takes time. The grief isn’t linear one day you’re fine the next day you’re not. Just give yourself time as I will, too.

Last edited:
I rehomed my sweet little girl after her sister passed so she could be with chickens and children. It is a beautiful farm with a pond. I am so grieving the loss of my ducks. I am so depressed. I know I did the best for her, but I miss her so bad. I love my little ducks so much. I guess the fear is what if they don’t love her like I did? This was probably one of the hardest things I’ve ever done. It is very complicated emotionally. I guess my answer to this question is it takes time. The grief isn’t linear one day you’re fine the next day you’re not. Just give yourself time as I will, too.
:welcome

Back
Top Bottom