How do you float test to see if eggs are still alive? Also how do you clean a styrofoam bator?

Farmin Momma

Songster
7 Years
Feb 18, 2012
Mill Creek, Wa
I am on day 23 and have seen no movement in my eggs any more! I candled them yesterday and still saw no movement. I have heard of floating the eggs and if they move then they are alive. I just want to make sure that it is that simple or if there is more of a trick to it. I would like to see if there is any reason to keep my eggs in the bator?

My other question is how do you disinfect a Styrofoam incubator so I can start again?

Thanks in advance for your help!

I would get water at 90-100*f and then gently dip one egg at a time into the water, live chicks will cheep or wiggle and move the water...

I use a white vinegar at natural strength to sterilize the bator- I then dry it completely and leave it in the direct sunlight for one or two days.

So, Saddly it turned out that none of them moved when I floated them. So I cracked them open, One had died after internaly piping. Three were facing the wrong way, one looks like it must have died right after lock down cause she was very small and one had a weird white substance stuck to her in a few places.

So sorry for the loss of your chicks. Sadly these things happen when incubating. Don't give up!!!!

I too use a styrofoam incubator....Little Giant model 10200 circulated air. The recommended method for cleaning and disinfecting is warm water and a mild anti-bacterial soap then rinse and dry.

Good luck with your next hatch.

Back
Top Bottom