How do you get duck water into the garden?

meganwf

In the Brooder
12 Years
Oct 25, 2007
Currently my five ducks are using buckets and a little plastic swimming pool for water. Before I got ducks I thought I would just pour the water where needed in the garden. But I didn't realize how heavy the kiddie pool would be, or how time consuming it would be to bail it out. Anyone know about how to get a pump/stock tank set up that could power through mud/muck through a hose etc. to be taken to the garden? Not far, but something easier than hauling buckets. Thanks! I know it is not the time of year to be doing this but just thinking ahead to spring/summer!!

For the kiddie pools, we just put them where we want to water and fill it there. To empty it, I step on the side, folding it in and let the water out until I can dump it the rest of the way.

For the larger ponds, we got a pump from Home Depot where they sell the pond stuff. We attacked a long hose to it and let it pump where we need it. We have to clean off the filter on the pump now and then as it drains. Silly ducks and geese drag all sorts of things in the pond with them.

Quote:
That sounds like a great way to empty the kiddie pool. I'm planning to get some ducks for bug control in my garden. They will need a kiddie pool to splash around in. When the water gets funky I will just scoop some out with a watering can and pour in around plants, as fertilizer. To get rid of the rest of it, just do like terrielacy does. Then fill it back up with a garden hose.

I did this for my duck pond (Kiddie Pool). All you need to do is go to a hardware store and buy a Penetrator for liquid. The outside should have a ball valve on it with a garden hose connector. Cut a hole on the side at the bottom and put it through there and tighten the seal. Hook the garden hose up and when you need to drain it open the valve and put the hose end where you need it (Just make sure the hose end isn't to far above the pool or it won't gravitiy feed). It is very easy to do and cheap:D.

Quote:
That sounds like a great way to empty the kiddie pool. I'm planning to get some ducks for bug control in my garden. They will need a kiddie pool to splash around in. When the water gets funky I will just scoop some out with a watering can and pour in around plants, as fertilizer. To get rid of the rest of it, just do like terrielacy does. Then fill it back up with a garden hose.

bug control? mine get into the soil.ruin the roots too......in my potted plants anyway....driving me nuts...... wonder how they will treat my garden in spring?

Oh my how the water stinks if you leave it for 2 days in summer! phew.
I would like to know how to do this too, I always stand to the side and upend the kiddie pool but it always manages to get on my feet and infiltrate my toenails!!! its a job to clean the duckpoop out from my toenails!!!
Yes im very ladylike!
But I would love to invent something to pump it into the garden, I have bucketed lots into the vegies and boy it stinks!
I like the valve idea (penetrator) for liquid, i will shop around,
Great idea thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom