How do you get rid of snakes?

All these ideas sound good - lets hope I'm brave enough to try them. I'm also working on my coops, just a lot of work how I wish I was a carpenter - and didn't have to work. I'm hoping I can get my guineas to hunt snakes and gophers. I put the snake in the guinea pen but they were afraid of it - my sultans and cochins looked like they wanted a closer look. I hope when my roosters get bigger they'll be able to help out to. That fabric wire sounds good but sounds expensive and I can't turn all my coops into cages. I try everything to keep the pest out.

Just get rid of their food source and you will minimize the snake population I trap rats and mice 24/7/365 I see a black snake 2-3 times a year if/when I go down to the water I see cottonmouths every day LOL

I love this topic! My coop is varmint proof. They have to be. That's the first rule of chicken keeping, I think. That said I have learned to encourage rat snakes in my barns. They keep the pesky birds out, eliminate the crickets and just about everything else. When they get too big and are eating too many eggs and, as I fear they might graduate to the hens, I relocate them. My husband does NOT like me sitting holding 4 foot snakes in his car so I put em in a five gallon bucket in MY car. he he. Hope I never see another kind of snake but the old timers around here say rattlers are really gentlemen - it's the copperheads that are mean and will chase you. I've never heard of anyone being bitten by a rattler but plenty by a copperhead - and they look like rat snakes! Be careful!

I have two black snakes living in my barn, and snapped this pic of a rat snake right outside my front door yesterday

From what I understand, rat snakes are protected here in Georgia, so you might want to be careful killing them and or admitting to doing so.

on a side note Hawks are protected too ;O)

Some snakes are a friend to your homestead

snake001.jpg

snake003a.jpg

I have seen snakes get through some very small holes and cracks, once there in and have a food source there is no reason for them to leave. The netting works exceptional well and if you check it often you can relocate the snake, though it is work getting them free of the netting. Personally IMO I don't think snakes can consume enough to limit a rodent population, rodents breed so fast you would have to have a yard or field carpeted in snakes. But I still try to relocate them even if they are venomous, just put a sock tightly over the snakes head so he can not strike, or just remove the head and relocate him to the skillet. I think cats do more to remedy mice but they also may eat chicks.

You should take note that the bite from a non-venomous snake can make you very ill if the snake breaks the skin. Their mouths are full of nasty bacteria.

Last edited:
We see snakes on and around our land frequently but, so far, they have caused us no problems. I believe that it's pointless to kill a snake unless it's something very dangerous, like the cobras around here. A dead snake will be replaced by a cousin very soon. As has already been mentioned, they are also useful for keeping down vermin and other creatures that might otherwise become too numerous, a job from which our cat resigned. We don't need to release snakes into the wild; the wild is the other side of the walls and fences.

My experience to date is that a snake will run as soon as it sees something big, such as me. A cornered snake, such as one in a coop, could be very nasty. Playing around with them seems to be a dangerous pastime except for experienced handlers. When drivers here see a snake crossing the road, they stop until it has reached the other side. Strange that because they never show pedestrians the same courtesy.

Certain types of snake are regarded as a delicacy by village folk here. They are still masters in the art of self-sufficiency despite downtown McD's turning their kids into Western style fatties. I haven't taken the trouble to ask which ones are edible or delicious for fear of being offered a sample to taste. For members her who might wish to try, chop or mince your snake meat, add chopped chillies, garlic, hedgerow leaves and stems and anything else that takes your fancy. Stir fry the lot in a little fish oil. Serve with boiled rice and add powdered chillies, salt or sugar to taste. It is best accompanied by either a lot of cold water or very cold beer. In my case, a plastic bag would also be needed. Dishes such as these represent the other side of the national cuisine that is more popular today. Modern townies, of course, can't forage or hunt for their food so they have lost the taste for some of the old traditional dishes.

I did watch an episode of the Crocodile Hunter on the effects of decline in snake populations have cause there. Fields are over run with mice. Silos/bins of grain filled with thousands of mice. The only option has been the spraying of posions which not only kill the mice, but just about anything it comes in contact with. Even the feral cat population that is causing a crisis with birds, small mammels and reptiles and their eggs hasn't put a dent in them.

Dunno if my not killing Rat, Black Racers or whatever will keep the rodent population down or not. But I'm just gonna keep moving the buggers away from the coop when I can.

Not to mention it saves my ears when my 6ft 4inch DH screams like a school girl!

Back
Top Bottom