How do you get rid of snakes?

I have a rat bait station in my pond area, under my wild bird feeder. Haven't had them in the attic since I added it a couple of years ago. I used to have an auto-feeder for my dogs and I had a hefty rat and mouse population. They hit my attic, well them and some prairie voles, and ate my wiring. The snake I had apparently only ate my fish. So he went and the rodents aren't around too long. The bait I use won't hurt a dog, cat or hawk if they consume the rodent, and my dogs can't open the bait station. This is fenced well away from my chickens.

I forgot to say earlier that geese are said to be good at keeping away snakes. If that is correct then there is no need for poisons or traps and you get eggs and meat as a bonus.

Quote:
I'm bettin the food source is peeping chicks! So far they havn't been able to get into their coops. Or maybe eggs from the quail - we collect them as soon as we see them. The only other creatures around are birds and gophers - I think the snakes are gettin some of them I've noticed less of them(gophers that is). We have lots of hawks during the day? Don't know- I havn't seen any mice or rats. Lots of squirrels - that's a rodent. I have one that throws pine cones on me everyday - I'd sure like to get rid of that food source!

To rid your place of poisonous snakes, bring in some king snakes. But this doesn't solve the "snake problem." Hey! Get some Mongooses!!
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
I'm bettin the food source is peeping chicks! So far they havn't been able to get into their coops. Or maybe eggs from the quail - we collect them as soon as we see them. The only other creatures around are birds and gophers - I think the snakes are gettin some of them I've noticed less of them(gophers that is). We have lots of hawks during the day? Don't know- I havn't seen any mice or rats. Lots of squirrels - that's a rodent. I have one that throws pine cones on me everyday - I'd sure like to get rid of that food source!

A bb-gun, 22 or a pellet gun might come in handy for a squirrel deterrent. The one that hits my bird feeder is paranoid these days. I haven't actually hit him with a bb, but he's deciding the sunflower seeds aren't worth the risk.

Quote:

most days they are attracted by mice and rats there is one local guy who breeds chicks for reptile food but they are tiny I think he uses quail chicks . I got rid of the mice I have not seen but one black snake in the last 1 1/2 - 2 years now the cottonmouths stay down at the water along with the water snakes

Back
Top Bottom