How do you get rid of unwanted male chicks

I'd find the quickest most human way to cull, and do so.. as early as I can. I don't care for eating the chickens I raised. it makes me sad.
Just out of curiosity, why "as early as you can"? Is that because it's easier, or because you dont' want to get attached? Or do you only cull when there's a genetic defect that's causing them to be in pain?

With the roosters that I've culled for meat, I waited a bit longer than what most people recommend, partly because I really hate butchering but also because I wanted to give them the chance to live a little. It makes me sad to think of all the meat birds who are butchered at 8-12 weeks old - they're hardly more than babies, it just seems wrong somehow. I feel like I owe it to my birds to at least give them a full season of the good life before I harvest them.

Just out of curiosity, why "as early as you can"? Is that because it's easier, or because you dont' want to get attached? Or do you only cull when there's a genetic defect that's causing them to be in pain?

With the roosters that I've culled for meat, I waited a bit longer than what most people recommend, partly because I really hate butchering but also because I wanted to give them the chance to live a little. It makes me sad to think of all the meat birds who are butchered at 8-12 weeks old - they're hardly more than babies, it just seems wrong somehow. I feel like I owe it to my birds to at least give them a full season of the good life before I harvest them.

I don't want to get attached, and its easier. If I know its a rooster, I will have to cull it. Unless I have a home lined up for it when its older (for freezer camp or pet), I will need to cull it. Since I have chickens for pets, not food, and eggs are just a nice bonus, to prevent getting too attached to the little guy, I'd cull it early.

I know its selfish but the bird wont see it coming, and living with me is a better life than being culled at birth at a hatchery :)

When I operated my own commercial hatchery I used word of mouth advertising from customers that bought from me, a local radio station that allowed free advertising, index cards with my info in laundromats, & the local paper. I think there is at least local radio station in every locale that have an hour show for swapping, selling, & giving things away. Advertising opens doors you may find a market that you were unaware of. Selling chicks, ducklings, etc right out of the incubator meant that they didn't have to be fed or watered & were so cute. And you could turn your culls into money makers, 12 chicks x$2.00 is considerably more than $2.00 for a dozen eggs which I also sold with a discount to those that bought 10 dozen at a time.

I feel very fortunate, (we can’t have them in our neighborhood), I have a friend who has a farm himself and works at a auction house. So he takes them, he either keeps them or takes them to auction. I’m just relieved to not have to cull them myself.

:goodpost:While I understand that meat birds like CornishX essentially must be processed by 8 or so weeks old, I raise dual purpose birds and my cockerels are often around until 5-6 months old...and that time on pasture gives them months to not only enjoy the fresh air, sunlight, and grass under their feet, but also develop flavor.

I haven't had this problem yet and my solution is going to fill my freezer. That being said when I was wanting some roosters I looked on craigslist, looked for signs at my feed store, asked the people working there if they knew anyone needing to get of some, looked for signs at my grocery store and library (I live very rural), and I looked on facebook marketplace. Just some ideas.

Back
Top Bottom