How do you handle a skunk caught in a live trap????

Quote:
I agree...I have seen them spin and spray without warning and have seen my neighbor get it when he thought they couldnt spray in a wooden box trap. He thought if they couldn't raise their tail they couldn't spray..WRONG. Its not dispersed over as great of an area but its will still enough make a grown man cry!!!
hit.gif

Last edited:
Depends on your local, but I know when I was in the city, animal control would pick up skunks in live traps
smile.png

Good luck! LOL!

Quote:
In our recent attempts to foil the raccoon predators around here, we inadvertently live trapped a skunk. Fortunately, I had draped a tarp over the back half of the trap the night I set it b/c we were expecting rain and I didn't want the bait to get washed away. It turns out that was a good move. When I saw Pepe le Pew in there in the morning, I sloooowly approached the cage and pulled the tarp all the way over the cage. I then got a second piece of heavy duty construction grade plastic and draped that over the top of the tarp. Next, I took an old bed comforter and placed that on top. I secured the sides of those coverings with nearby rocks.
I then proceeded to hook up the tailpipe of my car with aluminum foil and a drain pipe and tucked it under the tarps. Twenty minutes or so later, Pepe was asleep and pushing up daisies shortly thereafter. That's how we dispatched all of the critters we caught. No mess, no drama.

Rocky. Our first trap tenant. He was the SMALLEST (that trap is 42 inches long).
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/43104_7-11-10_raccoon.jpg

Awesome advice!!!! Thanks!!!

NP. Glad I could help.
smile.png

When you are sprayed by a skunk, it stings. Ask me how I know
th.gif

Skunks can spray standing on their front legs with their butts in the air Ask me how I know
frow.gif

Baby skunks spray very well too. Yeah, I really found that out too....
tongue.gif

Slinky

Quote:
You know entirely too much about skunks. You should probably stay away from them.
wink.png

My daughter had several professionally trapped. The trapper used a low live trap so the skunks couldn't raise their tails. He would approach the trap very slowly and cover it with a blanket before removing it--just put the whole thing in the back of his truck. Claimed he never got sprayed. It is not a job for the faintheart.

I live trapped 5 skunks over the winter. I would approach the cage with a blanket opened all the way. Seems a skunk doesn't realize there's a person behind the blanket. Threw it over the trap and hauled it out of the barn. Placed it far for the barn. Pulled blanket of and ran like heck. Husband would then shoot the skunk. I would put on cloths I could throw away to empty the trap. Set
trap and repeat.

Back
Top Bottom