How do you keep chickens from flying over the fence ?

Put a single strand of wire or even strong fishing line about 8 inches above the fence. They will hit this "invisible wall" and get discouraged.

I strung strands of 30 LB test fishing line about 10 inches apart over the section of my run that is not covered. Had one section where the gate was that did not initiall get covered, made an adjustment to cover it as well and have not had and escapes since. Initially did this thinking keep hawks out; have not had a problem with Hawks yet... 7-8 week olds... I seriously doubt it will keep hawks out but it does seem to work at keeping chickens in. And a cheep fix

Mine fly over a 4 foot fence on 4.5 acres and the last 7 got killed so i would make the fence taller or just build an enclosed run

You don't want to clip both wings. The clipping of the one wing (or pinioning - which is taking out a bone) works because the birds generally can't adjust their flight when one side is giving less lift. I would try clipping more feathers off of one wing first.

I have 15 Buff Orphingtons and 10 New Hampshire Reds. My Question is I ha a five foot fence and wonder if they will fly over my fence? I read on here that bigger birds like I have don't fly over the fence.

Nope. I have 8' and my 2yr olds fly out every day. I just let em range. .... Open the gate in the am and they go back in at night and to lay.

Gotta have a top fence run to keep em in

Back
Top Bottom