How do you keep eagles away?

I lost two good sized hens this past ten days, and I was pretty sure it was an owl or eagle. Needless to say I haven't left them out unattended like I used to. But just this morning a massive bald eagle swooped down and pinned one of the gals, all while I was only 30 feet away drinking coffee on my porch. I didn't see it coming but I did manage to chase it off before it hurt the hen.

Is netting my only real defense? These gals are going to miss roaming free.
Thanks.

I think shooting should be legal when they kill your animals. They can be viscous at times, but thanks to the law, yes, netting is probably your only defense. ;(

Looks like netting and supervision will be my best bet. 
Losing hens to an eagle is no fun, but I still wouldn't shoot one even if it was legal. 
Thanks, tho.
Clayclay, I've found the perfect thing for you. It's called the Eagle Eye Optimal Bird Scarer. You put it up high and it uses sunlight or artificial light to blast light in the bird's eye limiting its vision and chasing it away. Here's a link to the site optical_bird_scarer-p-1-c-59.html

Clayclay, I've found the perfect thing for you. It's called the Eagle Eye Optimal Bird Scarer. You put it up high and it uses sunlight or artificial light to blast light in the bird's eye limiting its vision and chasing it away. Here's a link to the site optical_bird_scarer-p-1-c-59.html
Oops it didn't copy the full thing, but just type "eagle repellent" on google and it'll pull it up

Does anyone know if you need to report eagle sightings to the Audubon society? I think they are tracking them in my area. One tried to pluck one of my hens the other day. I think it was a juvenile. Not white head yet.

bald eagle is a rare bird, are they still on the endanger list there? here they are and very watched banded and protected, anyways you dont do anything to them, don't botheer them, the only animal ever that is going to mess with and chase off a bald eagle is a raven, if you ever get caught messing with them you will get in huge trouble. Usually bald eagles wont land around a big dog but not always. Depends how hungry they are.

they are probably tracking the eagles anyway but yeah you can report them, any eagle I see usually is already known about wayyyy before that, they have web cams set up on them a lot of times also.

Last edited:
bald eagles PREFER dead animals but goldens are true killers

bald will kill but they are lazy and rather have a meal served to them but golden eagles have stronger feet and a much faster stoop they are more meant to be killers they are the aqulia eagles which are dry area soaring eagles true killers

bald eagles are sea eagles which act a lot like vultures fighting for food on the ground and eating road kill which they prefer over hunting unlike the more powerfully built aquilia eagles, bald/sea eagles are totally oppourtunistic.

You will notice falconers will never use bald eagles for falconry they only use golden eagles.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom