How do you keep your water from freezing if you don't have electricity

SuseyQ

Chirping
Feb 5, 2016
Hi,
I've been wondering how to do this for quail since they have smaller openings for their water so that it keeps cleaner. What do you do if you don't have any electricity? Does anyone have any insight regarding how to keep water from freezing?

Thank You,
SuseyQ

When it is freezing out I put out fresh warm water in the morning than again iin early afternoon. I take the water out after dark so the water doesn't freeze to point of breaking the waterer. Works for me and the quail. Hope this helps.

CTKen,
Thanks for the link. I've seen this, most of this is referring to chickens, but it may also work for quail. I live where we don't have harsh winters, but when they get harsh they are bad. Also our temperatures here drop pretty radically when it gets cold.

SuseyQ

Bush,
What type of watering system do you have? I've seen the ones with a jar and then openings around the base. This is what I think I'd use. Do the quail tend to rest/sleep once it's dark and don't need the water?
Thank You,
SuseyQ

I use the jar with the base as you described. When the temps are warmer I use the rabbit bottle 2 quart size. I find that if I try to use the bottles in freezing temps the stems freeze very quickly due to their small size and the metal. I don't think they eat or drink after dark but I cant say for sure. They very seldom seem to be extra thirtsy when I give them the water in the morning. I learned doing this from a friend many years ago. He had a large assortment of farm animals in a large outdoor inclosure and I asked him what he did in the cold temps.

Bush,
I'm curious, why do you use the 2 different drinking bottles? Is it because the rabbit bottle stays cleaner? Do they seem to get sufficient water from it? I assume this is a bottle with the metal neck that typically has a ball in it to limit dripping except when drinking. It sounds like a good plan.

Thank You,
SuseyQ

I use the bottle in the warmer weather because the water does stay cleaner and the container is larger so I don't have to fill it as often. I think they do prefer the jar, if I offer both at the same time they will always use the jar. So I remove the jar and leave the bottle, which when the other source is not available they will use. They do get as much water as they want from the bottles. I am in the state of Delaware. I have 15 coturnix quail, 7 hens and 1 rooster in one cage and 7 hens and no rooster in the other. Both groups will be year old this May. I hatched them here at home. This is my 2nd year raising quail and I do enjoy it. What state do you reside in and how many quail do you have?

Bush,
I'm in NM. I used to live in NJ and we had chickens there. I don't remember being too concerned about the water, but the smaller the water container the easier it freezes. We do get cold weather here, just not a really long season. At present I don't have any quail. I'm looking into getting them because of my allergies to chicken and duck eggs and because they are the most quiet bird that I'm aware of. I'm learning this venture can be quite expensive, however.

Thank You,
SuseyQ

Back
Top Bottom