How do you kill fireants if you don't know where the mound is??

silkiechick05

Songster
10 Years
Sep 27, 2009
North Texas
My coop is next to a tree and the fireants are in lines up and down the dumb tree leading to my coop. Now they also have made their home in the roof of the coop. Is there anyway to kill them without knowing where the mound is?

sprinkle grits all around!!! It kills them reall good and won't hurt the chickens
wink.png

Quote:
Plain grits won't do anything to them, but if you mix sugar, water, and boric acid and soak the grits in the solution, it WILL kill them

DO NOT let your birds, pets or children eat it

Quote:
Plain grits won't do anything to them, but if you mix sugar, water, and boric acid and soak the grits in the solution, it WILL kill them

It is right by the coop so I don't know how I'd keep them away from it.

It is right by the coop so I don't know how I'd keep them away from it.

Cover it with something so the chickens can't get to it, but the ants can.
You'd only need a spoonful at a time.

Can your chickens get on the roof of the coop or up in the tree?
The bait goes where the ants are. It doesn't have to be scattered all around if they ants are using active trails​

Last edited:
Quote:

that's not true! They carry it back to the nest and when they eat it , it expands their bellies and kills them like alka seltzer with birds. It's safe for the chickens.................. I KNOW FROM EXPERIENCE!!! And a 80 year old southern lady who has been using that method since she was a kid. Dad also did it...............DEAD!

that's not true! They carry it back to the nest and when they eat it , it expands their bellies and kills them like alka seltzer with birds. It's safe for the chickens.................. I KNOW FROM EXPERIENCE!!! And a 80 year old southern lady who has been using that method since she was a kid. Dad also did it...............DEAD

Actually, it's 100% true, with scientific research to back it up
I prefer science over hearsay. You can believe whichever you want, but only ONE actually works

http://blog.wildaboutants.com/2010/06/21/question-1-ant-digestion/

Scientists have long known that the worker ants feed all solids to the larvae first for processing. The larvae were thought to chew up, swallow and predigest the food, using enzymes, as you guessed. The larvae then regurgitate it back to the workers to distribute throughout the colony.​

Back
Top Bottom