how do you make quail lay eggs???

A hen is hatched with a certain amount of yolks to lay. If you force too many out of them early on, at some point they will stop laying. Laying does take some of the life force out of hens, so constantly laying will shorten the life of the bird.

The point is that fat is just energy, as long as they're using energy then they'll use up any excess fat. Further more, they would build up external fat at the same rate as organ fat. We don't process them and there are only 6, I'm hoping to have them all for another 2 years at least, but I honestly don't think it will be a problem for them.
It may never be a problem and what your saying is true to best of knowledge. However while body fat can be used up by the bird arterial plaque and liver fat cannot. Moderation was all I was suggesting.

Thanks for the advice anyway. I will reassess them in the spring but I will not cut down until then, I think they need the energy over winter.

I have Jumbo Coturnix 6F 2M about 3 months old. I put a light in about 3 weeks ago. They are on 26% GBS and oyster shell. How long should this take before I see an egg?

What kind of bulb? How long is it on for? Are they getting 14 hours of light total between daylight and the bulb? When did your birds molt for the winter, or have they?

Thanks so much for getting back to me..

Its a CFL Biax type drop light - It goes on at 4:30 AM and goes off at 8AM then back on at 4:30PM and goes off at 8pm. I dont know if they molted they are 3-4 months old and I got them @8 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom