How do you pronounce....

My sister said that the French pronunciation would be Ma-Rans though I don't think that Maw-rans is very close to the samething imo.

PS My little Sister is very smart.

I say AustraloRp, but I've gotten into arguments because I didn't say orffffington or duckull for orPington (where is there a F or H in that word????) and d'uccle. Also, it's a Ameraucana not a freaking Armour car aaaaa. Sometimes it's easier to grit teeth and scream when you get home.

I just have to ask, because I never thought of it before: How do you pronounce Araucana? I know it can't be like I heard on the Cooking Channel during a discussion about egg colors. There it was pronounced "uh-roo-canoe". Then I started doubting my own pronunciation. So, how do y'all say it?

This thread is very helpful -- I'm going to save the answers -- :)

Maybe some clever someone will put together a total 'vocabulary list' with the correct pronunciation of all breeds --

I say 'wine dot' but I have heard the clerk at our Tractor Supply say 'wine dotty' --

Of course, here in the South we have our own 'take' on many words
wink.png

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Some years ago we found a little chihuahua in a parking lot -- put a 'found' ad in the paper --

The first person called said, 'If you don't find a home for that 'chi-hooa-hooa' I'll take it.' I smile every time I see that word now --
smile.png

(We were able to re-unite 'Duzy' with his people)

There was a link to a dictionary site that you could click a button to hear the word pronounced correctly. They had Wyandotte, pronounced pretty much how it's spelled, Wy-an-dot. NO "H". If you say it fast it comes out Wine-dot, but I see people spell it, "Wine Dot", it makes me crazy. They did not have Maran, on that website, which I would also like to know.

D'uccle is Doo-clay.

Quote:
This is the way I have always heard it pronounced. But Rarefeathers and I are both on the West Coast.

So for Araucana it's a long "a" sound at the beginning? I was pronouncing it (to myself as I read it) as are-uh-con-uh. So I wasn't too far off, but I'm wondering where in the world the people on that show were figuring their pronunciation.

Quote:
Like many others on TV these days, sounds like they were just clueless. I hear so many people on TV give out wrong information, mispronounce words, and use the wrong words for things. I wish I had a dollar for every time I've heard somebody who should know better, such as a journalist, say something like, "Every since I heard about......" instead of "Ever since I heard about..."

Throw a new word like "Araucana" at them...

Back
Top Bottom