How do you provide greens during winter?

crazybirdlady27

Hatching
Apr 24, 2016
Do you buy leafy veggies from the grocery store, feed hay, or just feed commercial feed during winter when there's minimal grass available? This will be my first winter with geese and I want to make sure they stay healthy and plump!

I don't have geese, but chickens and pigeons. I do dry some of my grass and place it into coop and loft. I also use hay. (alfalfa, and Tymothy ). I prefer using hay over straw since it is eatable and only about $2 more per bale VS straw for me. I also place a lot of my grass clipping into my semi covered run. My chickens just scratch, and scratch , and scratch in it all year long. In fall leaves also accompany the grass clippings. I feed my chickens Alflock, and do provide some additional calcium free choice such as crushed oyster shells. You can use Alflock to feed your geese. That is why it is called such. One feed for most of your animals. I don't go out of my way to buy extra greens for my chickens, but they get all the kitchen scraps most certainly. You may possibly inquire at your local supermarket if they could possibly be able to give you their spent produce. (the less than fresh, and wilted stuff they throw out.) Some may have a" NO " POLICY.
Let your geese free range if possible and they will nibble on whatever they can even thru the snow.
WISHING YOU BEST.
thumbsup.gif

I just buy whatever is on sale every week in winter for my geese. Lettuce, cabbage, spinach, etc. They also love any kind of melon, apples, squash, & pumpkin.

Back
Top Bottom