How do you slaughter a Muscovy duck?

Jan 3, 2018
Dryden, Michigan
Apparently I am helping my mom slaughter one of her Muscovy drakes today. How do we do it?

I slaughtered a turkey back in November with just a hatchet - it worked but took several whacks. Felt and looked absolutely torturous. But, that is what all the videos online showed. Mom says she has a chicken killing cone but I know nothing about them or what they look like. Will it be big enough for a large drake? The Muscovy neck is significantly larger than a typical duck/chicken - how does that impact slaughter?

Any and all advice, tips etc. are welcomed. Please help us make the transition to death as calm as possible for our feather babies. Thank you in advance.

As long as the cone is large enough to hold the duck, I'd use it. The confinement and being upside down seems to calm the birds and with a sharp knife/scalpel/razor knife, the cuts to either side of the neck are fast and painless and the bird will bleed out very quickly. I'm not a fan of hatchets myself either. Been there and did that as a kid.

It's after this that the fun begins... I REALLY dislike plucking ducks... Like REALLY! I recommend that you use very warm/hot water with a goodly amount of liquid dish soap to get the dirt and oils out of the feathers and it will take longer soaking than with a chicken to get those feathers loosened for plucking.

Hope you'll come back with some pics and details when you're done!

we always did the hot water and parifin wax method after the initial plucking to "coat the bird in wax" then let cool/harden and peel the wax off, get rid of almost all of the missed down and pin feathers. You can then just throw the hardened wax back in the main kettle and save for the next time.

we always did the hot water and parifin wax method after the initial plucking to "coat the bird in wax" then let cool/harden and peel the wax off, get rid of almost all of the missed down and pin feathers. You can then just throw the hardened wax back in the main kettle and save for the next time.

I should of added that we dry plucked the birds first which honestly didn't/doesn't seem that bad with ducks at least . Chickens always get a trip thru the hot tub first. BUT duck feathers don't seem to be so "fly away"

Thank you for all the input. Sadly we completed the task before I had a chance to read the thread. Used an axe. Worked great. I will never get used to them still flapping without a head. Used hot water for the feathers and it was great. Didn't use water for the turkey and it was such a pain. Feathers came right off with putting the duck in hot water. May have soaked it too long though, because the muscles got really tight and we could barely move the wings around when we pulled it out.

Seeing how smoothly processing mom's duck went, I've decided it is time for some of my drakes to go to. This is breaking my heart.....but if my girls are gonna be safe and happy - boys gotta go. Thank you for your input. I still welcome more tips for the future.

Most of us here are pet Duck owners so are not replying to this butchering thread..I on the other hand understand your need for knowledge in butchering as simple as possible..@aart butchers Chickens and could be a great help to you?
Darn
@aart
Thank you. I almost didn't make the post because I feel like a horrible mom for eating my young. I never intended for them to be anything but pets and egg providers. Ducklings are hatching so the circle of life is continuing! I will have to come up with my list of questions and reach out to aart. Thanks for the info!

Back
Top Bottom