How Do You Stop a Hen From Crowing?

I have had numerous hens that crowed or at least who attempted to crow. I am unsure of the reason. I will say that after looking back that it "appears" now that they didn't have a rooster in close attendance. Some of the old timers believed that a hen could change her gender to adapt to rooster-less conditions. I do not believe that but I do believe that it is a possibility that needs more study. The existence of free martins is a well established fact in the beef industry backed up by science and DNA evidence, why can that not be true in the chicken game.

The sebright hen of mine crowed for a short time and also layed eggs. We don't have a rooster. She's had these episodes twice and I heard it again the other day. The second hen, a Rhode Island Red, layed eggs her first year and then started trying to breed other hens. Her comb and wattles actually got larger during this time. That lasted about 6 weeks during the summer. Both hens are acting like hens now without this odd behavior.

Have you tried the roo collar? It is supposed to quiet or stop the crow. Look up no crow rooster collar online and you will find a link to Facebook where you can order them..

I was afraid of that. I bought him from a guy on the side of the road (not kidding). Chickens/Roosters are not allowed here. A chicken i could hide, a roo not so much. :(

Back
Top Bottom